cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to put the catalog as homepage?

SOLVED

Is there a way to put the catalog as homepage?

Greetings.

I'm very new with Magento. I have read the user manual but i can't find a way to make visible my products. I added 2 products to the catalog and categorised them. In frontend i do a search for them and appears like nothing was found.

Besides i don't know how to set the catalog beneath the frontpage and i add products without success.

My magento is in a environment UWamp, so far is working well but i already flushed caches and i can't see any product.

Please i need a lot of help to this because i need to understand the functioning of this Shopping cart and its management and i've been for hours figuring out how.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is there a way to put the catalog as homepage?

You're right -- this needs to be added to the user guide.  Here's how to display a category listing on your home page:

1. Go to Catalog > Manage Categories and get the ID of the category you want to use. It's in parentheses after the category title (ID:4) 

2. Go to CMS > Pages, and open your home page. Then in the panel on the left, click Content. 

3. In the editor, comment out the current code on your home page by enclosing it in comment tags. (If you don't want to keep the code, you can delete it, but you might need it later.)

<! -- (home page code) -->

4. Paste the following markup tag into the editor, and substitute the category ID that you want to use:

{{block type="catalog/product_list" name="home.catalog.product.list" alias="products_homepage" category_id="4" template="catalog/product/list.phtml"}}

5. Click the Save Page button.

6. Click the Cache Management link at the top of the workspace. Then, select the checkbox for the invalid Layout cache and click the Submit button to refresh the cache.

I'll add this to the user guide -- probably in the markup tags section.  Thanks for the suggestion! 

Claire

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Is there a way to put the catalog as homepage?

You're right -- this needs to be added to the user guide.  Here's how to display a category listing on your home page:

1. Go to Catalog > Manage Categories and get the ID of the category you want to use. It's in parentheses after the category title (ID:4) 

2. Go to CMS > Pages, and open your home page. Then in the panel on the left, click Content. 

3. In the editor, comment out the current code on your home page by enclosing it in comment tags. (If you don't want to keep the code, you can delete it, but you might need it later.)

<! -- (home page code) -->

4. Paste the following markup tag into the editor, and substitute the category ID that you want to use:

{{block type="catalog/product_list" name="home.catalog.product.list" alias="products_homepage" category_id="4" template="catalog/product/list.phtml"}}

5. Click the Save Page button.

6. Click the Cache Management link at the top of the workspace. Then, select the checkbox for the invalid Layout cache and click the Submit button to refresh the cache.

I'll add this to the user guide -- probably in the markup tags section.  Thanks for the suggestion! 

Claire