cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item with alternate part number (1.9)

Item with alternate part number (1.9)

Let say item A has a part number of 123A. 123A will be used as the item title. Let say item 123A has an alternate part number of 456B used by other manufacturers. What would be a good way to have a main part number an and alternate part number that is searchable, etc.

Please be very basic in your explanation as I am a new user.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Item with alternate part number (1.9)

Hello @pumpman

You can mention the alternate number in the description of the item. Then you'll need a good search tool that looks for products containing the phrases the searcher types in the search bar. Here is a good solution https://amasty.com/search-pro.html

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
230+ professional extensions for M1 & M2 with free lifetime updates!

This is not good enough. Putting this information in the description seems like a cheap fix. I need this to be indexable (sp), and part of the product item code.

Thats it? One worthless spam reply..?!?

You can create additional part # attributes. Doing this will allow you to control what to use in the layer navigation and what can be used in search.

Thank you. Now to put this into perspective let's say I have one part, and this one part will work with 67 different airplane models (e.g., Cessna 172, Cessna 182, etc. )
How can I set this up in Magento to make this most efficient. I want the end user to be able to select his airplane type and model from a drop-down box, and it awill show what products are available for his type of airplane

We have come across the same issue. Were you able to find a solution for this problem?

The best way to handle item part no is by initializing it with brand name for example your part no is A101 of SK brand but if you use straight way there might be another A101 from different brand but if you use SK-A101 then it will be a unique part no and also help you in search at admin when you looking for all items from SK brand.