cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making navigation bar open links in new tab through categories

Making navigation bar open links in new tab through categories

So I have a navigation bar that is built through the categories, and I want one of those categories and its subcategories to open in new tabs if someone clicks on them. How do I go about doing this?

I know to open a hrefs in new tabs it is target="_blank" but a) I don't know where to put this in this case and b) I was hoping there was a way to do it straight from the categories for this one particular thing

Thanks in advance for any help

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Making navigation bar open links in new tab through categories

Hi @letssewllc,

Unfortunately, it's not possible to set the target from the category configuration.

I suggest you to add a new category attribute, and then add that attribute to the category configuration form.

Then, you can add the IF statement to add the target="_blank" in the menu output if the category attribute is set for the category to be opened in a new tab.

Best regards.
Gabriel

Welcome to the Magento Forums. Remember to introduce yourself and read the Magento Forums Guidelines.

Re: Making navigation bar open links in new tab through categories

@Gabriel Guarino

What do you mean by category attribute? Can't I just specify the category ID numbers?

And from there where would I find the files I would need to edit in the Magento Base? Obviously I won't edit the base magento codes but if I know where to look that will help a lot.