cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi language store (categories)

SOLVED

Multi language store (categories)

Hi all,

I have a store in english and german. If I create a category for english store, it will be also show on german store. 

Where can be a mistake?

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Multi language store (categories)

Hi @smartgrafik 

There are a few options if you want to have categories differenciated between stores, first of all you can have different Store Groups on each store with a different root category. Or you can create your Category as inactive and then choosing your english store in the dropdown to the top left, and setting it active there.

However if you want a totaly different category structure in your german / or english store, first create a new Root Categories in:

Catalog > Manage Categories > Add Root Category

Then you can set up a new store group this up in:

System > Manage Stores 

And here pressing Create Store and choosing your different root category. Then finding your store view and associating it with your new store group.

I hope this helps :-)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi @smartgrafik 

There are a few options if you want to have categories differenciated between stores, first of all you can have different Store Groups on each store with a different root category. Or you can create your Category as inactive and then choosing your english store in the dropdown to the top left, and setting it active there.

However if you want a totaly different category structure in your german / or english store, first create a new Root Categories in:

Catalog > Manage Categories > Add Root Category

Then you can set up a new store group this up in:

System > Manage Stores 

And here pressing Create Store and choosing your different root category. Then finding your store view and associating it with your new store group.

I hope this helps :-)

You are fantastic, many thanks!!

Hi!

I am witing you because I need to setup the following structure at Magento 1.9.3.3.

domain.com > default language (ES) and web navigation skipping /es/

domain.com/en/

domain.com/fr/

domain.com/it/

I want to navigate directly through domain when default language, avoid the /es/ directory.

How should I setup Magento store views?

I managed to achieve that using the method explained here:
https://code.tutsplus.com/articles/magento-seo-internationalization-and-extensions--cms-22378

But there was 1 thing didnt work, I had to write the path hard coded, instead of writing "../" in these 2 steps, remove the '../':
$compilerConfig = ‘../includes/config.php';
$mageFilename = ‘../app/Mage.php';

In the 'index.php' file, the one you copied to the language folder, find this line:

define('MAGENTO_ROOT', getcwd());

replace the function 'getcwd()' with the path of your magento root folder.

Good luck,

First: In Magento 2 there are some default categories that are set globally. When you create a category for a specific store view, you need to switch the store (here is the image:https://prnt.sc/t5jk30) on the New Category page for it to be created for specific store view only.

Second: in case you want to have 2 same categories translated for English and German store view and the English one, for example, appears on both store views than you need to connect your category pages with the alternate tags that help to avoid content duplication issues. 

This is the right tool for it if you don't have any technical skills to set them - Magento 2 Hreflang Extension