cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordering beyond out of stock

SOLVED

Ordering beyond out of stock

So my store's owner wants items that go below a quantity of 1, since we deal with fabrics that is 1 yard of fabric, to be out of stock. However users can order like 1.25 yards, that sort of thing. So what I am asking is if there is a way to set items to go out of stock at 1 yard AND still be able to order an item in a quantity that will place that order out of stock?

For example I have a fabric that has 2 yards in stock. I want to order 1.5 yards. It can't be done. I can only order 1 yard.

Any help appreciated Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ordering beyond out of stock

Hi @letssewllc,

Yes, you definitely can do that. You just have to enable the following setting in the system configuration page:

System > Configuration > Inventory - Stock Options > Backorders

Set to “allow quantity below 0 and notify customer”

Best regards.
Gabriel

Welcome to the Magento Forums. Remember to introduce yourself and read the Magento Forums Guidelines.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @letssewllc,

Yes, you definitely can do that. You just have to enable the following setting in the system configuration page:

System > Configuration > Inventory - Stock Options > Backorders

Set to “allow quantity below 0 and notify customer”

Best regards.
Gabriel

Welcome to the Magento Forums. Remember to introduce yourself and read the Magento Forums Guidelines.

@Gabriel Guarino I figured that would be how to do it, but I wasn't 100% sure. Thanks

@Gabriel Guarino

I know it has been awhile on this post, but I just found this out a few days ago. If I use the backorder option it works a little too well. It allows people to order beyond the out of stock point of 1, however those items that are below the 1 quantity threshold are no longer put out of stock automatically. Is there a way to have both? In other words, can I have it to where if someone wants 2.5 out of 3 of something it will allow them to make that order and after the order is completed that product will go out of stock.