cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem creating a Configurable Product

Problem creating a Configurable Product

Hi

I am trying to create a "Configurable Product" in Magento 1.9.2.4 using the default template, however I have hit the following problem:

When creating the Configurable Product" it requires me to specify a "Custom Design" on the Design Tab.  I do this by selecting a design (rwd default) from the supplied drop-down list however whichever item I select from the list I always get the error: "Please use only letters (a-z or A-Z) or numbers (0-9) only in this field. No spaces or other characters are allowed." dispite having used a value provided by the system (default) which appears to my eye to comply with the requirements specified in the error message.

I would be grateful for any help in resolving this problem as non of the online tutorials I've looked at even mention the need to specify a "Custom Design"  which leads me to think I have probably missed something along the way.

Many Thanks

Ken

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Problem creating a Configurable Product

Hi @KenB,

Is it possible for you to make a test but with the 3rd-party modules disable? (I'm guessing that you have 3rd-party modules because is a little bit harder to find a relation between the action and the error message).

Hi Daminan

Thanks for the reply.  As far as I am aware I have no 3rd party modules installed. 

I used Softaculous to install Magento 1.9 on my hosting provider and so far have just changed localisations enabled the pay-on-delivery module added a few simple products, including one with options, to get the hang of how it works and run through a few dummy orders.  I then tried to add a configurable product and hit the problem,  which is why I thought I might have missed or got something wrong in the configuration

Cheers

Ken

@KenB,

Can you check on System -> Configuration -> Advanced ?

There you'll see the full list of modules. Can you share the list fo those non-Magento modules?

As I said, it's a tllitle bit hard to try to find the relation between the action and the message.

Maybe you can share some screenshots with the product that you're trying to create. Is it possible?

Hi Damian

Here is a list of all the modules listed by Configuration/Advanced, they are all enabled,  I've tried adding screen shots but when I do it won't let post the message because it is too large, and I can't see an obvious way to attach files.

Cheers

Ken

Cm_RedisSession  Mage_Admin  Mage_AdminNotification  Mage_Api  Mage_Api2  Mage_Authorizenet  Mage_Backup  Mage_Bundle  Mage_Captcha  Mage_Catalog  Mage_CatalogIndex  Mage_CatalogInventory  Mage_CatalogRule  Mage_CatalogSearch  Mage_Centinel  Mage_Checkout  Mage_Cms  Mage_Compiler  Mage_ConfigurableSwatches   Mage_Connect  Mage_Contacts  Mage_Core  Mage_Cron  Mage_CurrencySymbol  Mage_Customer  Mage_Dataflow  Mage_Directory  Mage_Downloadable  Mage_Eav  Mage_GiftMessage  Mage_GoogleAnalytics  Mage_GoogleCheckout  Mage_ImportExport  Mage_Index  Mage_Install  Mage_Log  Mage_Media  Mage_Newsletter  Mage_Oauth  Mage_Page  Mage_PageCache  Mage_Paygate  Mage_Payment  Mage_Paypal  Mage_PaypalUk   Mage_Persistent  Mage_Poll  Mage_ProductAlert  Mage_Rating  Mage_Reports   Mage_Review  Mage_Rss  Mage_Rule  Mage_Sales  Mage_SalesRule  Mage_Sendfriend  Mage_Shipping  Mage_Sitemap  Mage_Tag  Mage_Tax   Mage_Uploader  Mage_Usa  Mage_Weee  Mage_Widget  Mage_Wishlist  Mage_XmlConnect  Phoenix_Moneybookers

Hi @KenB,

According with your list you are not using external modules so it's a little bit hard to try to guess why you're getting that error.

On a normal Magento 1 installation is hard to try to find a relation between your action and the message.

I guess that you'll need to check a little bit deeper the store and the Magento and webserver logs.

I'm sorry but I'm out of ideas without seeing code.

Hi Damian

Thanks for your help.

I will have a poke around, or maybe move to version 2. 

If I find an answer I will let you know.

Cheers

Ken

Hi Damian,

I have now solved the problem by re-installing Magento.

So my best guess is that there may have been an installation problem which went unnoticed.

Cheers
Ken

Thanks for letting Us know @KenB.

It sounds logical because the error wasn't regular (even possible).