Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Price for a Category

SOLVED

Special Price for a Category

Magento version 1.9.3.4.

Hi all,

I have product X in 2 different categories.

In Category A I want to show it with price $20, and in Category B I want to show it with price $10 or $20 $10.

( Category B will be a hidden category, and I want to send the private url just to a certain group so they can buy with the discount).

I know this can be done with a cart discount rule, or via a promo code - but in this case I want the customer to see the discount price as soon as they view the product inside Category B.

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks,

Oliver Page

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Special Price for a Category

Using Magento out-of-the-box you won't be able to apply that kind of behavior.

I was looking a little bit but I didn't found possible solutions neither.

What if you move your products between the regular categories to the special one and viceversa?

View solution in original post

I don't know if this fits on your requirment but there are some free modules that maybe could help: https://www.meanbee.com/magento-extensions/automatic-sale-category.html

There are also paid options too.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hi @olpage,

What if you use the Catalog Rules instead the Cart rule?

Área de trabajo 1_004.png

Hi Damian,

Many thanks for the suggestion. I did try that, but it appears that the 'special' price will only appear in the Cart - i.e. once the product has been added to the Cart and the customer is looking at their subtotal. I would like the price to be shown as the actual product price, before someone has added it to their cart or done anything.

With the catalog price rule, in the example below, the product still shows as $130, but a 50% discount is applied only when it is added to the cart

Screen Capture #1269.jpg

Hi @olpage,

I can't see the screenshot yet (it needs to be moderated but maybe you can use an online service) but after you've created the rule did you click on "Apply rules" button?

Thanks! That did the trick. So now the discount price shows directly on the product view.

However, what I am still trying to achieve is that the product shows with the discount price in Category B, but with the normal price in Category A.

The Category price rule changes the price if the product is in that special category, but it also changes the price at the product level -  so if a product is in 2 categories, the discount price will also show in the other category. 

What I want is something like this:

domain.com/products/categoryA/productname       $20

domain.com/products/categoryB/productname       $20 $10

Many thanks,

Oliver

Using Magento out-of-the-box you won't be able to apply that kind of behavior.

I was looking a little bit but I didn't found possible solutions neither.

What if you move your products between the regular categories to the special one and viceversa?

Yep,,,, thanks for your advice. Appreciate it. I think that's the only way: To just have the product in the one category or the other, but not both.

I don't know if this fits on your requirment but there are some free modules that maybe could help: https://www.meanbee.com/magento-extensions/automatic-sale-category.html

There are also paid options too.

This is the case Magento 2 Dynamic Category extension can come in handy. It has the option to generate products to a category based on Cart Price Rules. Therefore products in Category B will be displayed with its special price according to cart price rules and remain in the original A Category with its regular price. 

In case you decide to exclude this product( the one you want to add to category B) from any other category and let it be displayed in B category only there is an option to do so.

Besides, there are some other options to help you manage your categories easier.