cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any recommendations for monitoring tools and database archival strategies?

Any recommendations for monitoring tools and database archival strategies?

Hi,

I am looking for popular tools that would help ensure the smooth functioning of a Magento portal.

Any recommendations for tools that could help monitor Magento performance? Inform about peak loads or spikes in CPU utilization?

How are patches deployed and managed - Is there a tool or scripts that need to be run?

What database archival strategies are frequently used in Magento? Are there any db archiving tools available?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Any recommendations for monitoring tools and database archival strategies?

Hi,

I highly recommend collectd for monitoring your machines. Unlike the 5 minute intervals that a lot of tools use, collectd will give you 10 second resolution in your graphs (I gave a talk about the differences, you can view it here, btw)

For archival, you can install AOE's Aoe_QuoteCleaner to clear up old quote table entries (which is where a lot of the cruft builds up). Otherwise make sure that your log retention settings in the Magento admin are set to the levels you're happy with - they default to keeping spurious information for quite a long time,

I hope that helps,

Aaron

Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!
www.iweb.co.uk | Magento Small Business Partner

You can try catchpoint or newrelic. These are monitoring services for the web applications.

---
Problem Solved Click Accept as Solution!:Magento Community India Forum

You may take a look at Nagios. My company is using them

Hi,

Good point @magesolutions - something like Nagios or Icinga is good for alerting, things like NewRelic and collectd are more geared towards graphing and showing you spikes in CPU usage - you can use the latter to diagnose issues, but you'd probably want Nagios or Icinga paging your phone or emailing you to let you know that there's a problem.

Also, if you *don't* want to manage an Icinga or Nagios install, just getting a PagerDuty or IPPatrol account is a quick way to make sure your site is loading at all - step 0 in monitoring!

Aaron

Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!
www.iweb.co.uk | Magento Small Business Partner

depends on what level of monitoring you need?

if you need just to get alerts on cpu spikes and high server load, traffic stats, or service down - then i guess simple local bash script will be perfect.

if you need something that shows you transactions and stack traces - you need to use remote server with "packetbeat" or services like "newrelic"

------------
MagenX - Magento and Server optimization