cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could use some Hosting advise...

Could use some Hosting advise...

I need to setup a store for 1 client.  I'll only have a handful of products(up to 10). I have a domain address, but I need hosting.  This needs to be as cheap as possible. They will send new employees to pick a couple products and checkout without paying and I'll bill after(so I don't need any payment processing).  Very little traffic.  I have a good solution, but it's $19/month, but I'm not sure how often they will order.  Any super cheap hosting I can setup a magento store with?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Could use some Hosting advise...

$19/month is not a good price for a small magento site. It can be lower a lot for the first year (or first order). You can check more options on internet by keywords "magento hosting solution". I think it will help

With a small store of 10 products or less (assuming that everything else is properly configured), you shouldn't have any problem going with a basic plan for any hosting provider.

If you need any Magento related assistance, you may want to consider going with a provider who specialize in Magento. 

I understand the temptation to go cheap when the store is small, but if the site is slow and sluggish you will have a hard time to convert visitors and generate sales. If the server can't handle Magento the site will be slow even if you have only a few visitors. You can ask for a trial and test a few hosts. If the performance is satisfactory with the cheap options it should be fine.

Sindre M, CEO & Founder
ProperHost.com - The Magento Hosting Experts

you can get even good vps for less than 19$ month.

like this one VPS SSD 3 https://www.ovh.ie/vps/vps-ssd.xml

the only problem if you want that cheap it will be unmanaged, 

------------
MagenX - Magento and Server optimization

Sure, but it will be unmanaged and if you are not a sysadmin it will be hard to configure and maintain the server. Additionally you won't have any automated backups, which you probably want. So comparing to a managed solution with daily backups, cPanel, etc. at $20-$30/mo I think that is a better option. Most important, you can choose a host that knows Magento and is available when you need help.

Sindre M, CEO & Founder
ProperHost.com - The Magento Hosting Experts

Why are they running Magento?

If they only have 10 products, and they aren't sure if they will sell, why not start in a simpler platform like Shopify where you have no development costs?

I never understand how people expect to run a real business for less than $20 month?  My Etsy store costs me between $10-40, depending upon how much time I have to make things.  I have better things to do with my time than worry about saving $5/month.

Also, assume that they are wildly successful and business starts booming and you put them on a third rate host to save them $5/month ...and they start losing hundreds per week in sales?  Do you want your reputation damaged?

Look at Aspiration or ProperHost and tell your customer to focus on marketing their wares.

Steven Antonucci
LiteSpeed Technologies

Re: Why are they running Magento?

Sorry, I didn't explain very well. I'm not setting this up for a client trying to sell their products online. I'm a promotional products distributor. I sell my own products using Shopify.  I also have some local clients. 1 of my local clients is wanting an online store with the products that I'm selling them so they can send their new employees to pick out a couple items that I can deliver. It's so they don't have to keep their own inventory. I might only get a few hits a week(at most). Looking for cheap because it will come out of my profits.

Thanks!

Thanks! Looks like there's a few good options in the $3-$5/month range