cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a test version of my site?

How do I create a test version of my site?

Hi everyone, I'm new here... just to clarify, I never used Magento before, I'm mainly just used to code in html and php.

Not sure if this is the right section, if anything just move it to the correct one.

So, I need to make a test version of a live Magento website, either with a local copy of it or with a subdomain, where I can test some stuff without affecting the actual website... it's been days now that I've been searching online for answers, but I couldn't find an easy explanation for beginners like me and ended up trying complex things without knowing how they worked hence failing.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance (and I'm sorry if I made some mistake, English is not my first language).

8 REPLIES 8

Re: How do I create a test version of my site?

I recommend using a subdomain to achieve this.

You will need to copy all files to the subdomain directory and copy your database to a new database.

After that, you need to:-

1. Edit the app/etc/local.xml file to reflect the new database name, username and password. 

2. Go to the core_config_data table in the database and update the Base URL from the main domain to the subdomain. 

3. Clear your Magento caches in var/cache

Thanks for replying.

I think you're giving me instructions on how to make a copy of the main site on the subdomain since the first step you gave me talks already about a subdomain directory... but I have yet to create the subdomain. Again, I'm totally new on Magento (also on live websites, I've only worked offline before this) so I don't even know how to create it (maybe it's the easiest thing but I can't figure it out).

Sorry if I'm sounding too demanding but I don't know what to do...

Hi Robbmc,

Please let us know if you have access to a control panel such as cPanel, if we know what you have access to we can give you more precise steps.

Leslie B.
Aspiration Hosting - Magento 1 & 2 Optimized Cloud Hosting
Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!

To be honest I don't even know what it is, so I'm positive I don't have it...

I did not create the site, by the way, if you're wondering. I was just instructed to test some stuff on this platform I've never used before and to do so I need this subdomain...

You can try install and run Magento on localhost (your computer). 

<< Snipped >>

Regards,

Thanks, I'll give it a try... in the meantime, I think that I can have access to the cPanel; in that case do I have an easier solution?

Hi Robbmc,

Is your host not able to set you up a development website? If you tell your hosting provider to setup a development copy of your website and provide you with the details this should work and is probably the simplest way to get something you can play with quickly if you are not technical. I hope that helps. 

Nublue Team
Magento Web Hosting on Shared, VPS, Dedicated & AWS for Magento1&2

@robbmc wrote:

Thanks, I'll give it a try... in the meantime, I think that I can have access to the cPanel; in that case do I have an easier solution?

If you have access to cPanel, you can create the subdomain in cPanel and follow the rest of the steps that I've stated previously.