cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Hosting

Image Hosting

Hello,

I'm in the process of having a site built and have questions about image hosting.

I have a question regarding images.  I'm testing uploading some products. I notice that the main gallery images are automatically stored in: /media/catalog/product/cache/1/image

When I add images in the "Description" area,  the WYSIWYG editor automatically stores them in: media/wysiwyg/

For the Description area, can I use image url's that link to my existing server? Still the same domain but a folder that's not a sub folder of Magento.  I have a folder structure set up where I hose images used for eBay.
Or is it better that all Magento images are stored the default method?
Also, is the default method to just group all images in one folder? No need for an organized folder structure?

Thanks for any help!
Regards,
Jamie

1 REPLY 1

Re: Image Hosting

Hello jamepc,

"For the Description area, can I use image url's that link to my existing server? Still the same domain but a folder that's not a sub folder of Magento.  I have a folder structure set up where I hose images used for eBay."

=> Yes, you can insert many images from your existing servers. In Description area or fields using wysiwyg, you can put external links from different domains.

"Or is it better that all Magento images are stored the default method?"

=> Yes. If your server has CDN (content delivery network), your server quickly delivers media files to the end user cutting down on network latency. For example website: http://www.charleskeith.com/

"Also, is the default method to just group all images in one folder? No need for an organized folder structure?"

=>No. For products and categories, Magento will render images and put media/catalog/* . Static block and cms pages use folder media/wysiwyg. For design static content(image sprite, icon, etc,...), you can put images in current <MAGE_ROOT>/skin. When using Magento import products feature, you put your images into media/import/. You should know some places in Magento to store your images.

Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!