cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generate Color Option Lists Dynamically instead of multiple Attribute Sets

Generate Color Option Lists Dynamically instead of multiple Attribute Sets

I'm creating copies of attribute sets for various products because their marketing color names vary across all the products.

I've done two ranges of products and already I have about 20 attribute sets for 20 configurable products for the sole purpose of listing the right variations of colors for the respective products and I've done about 20% of all products.

I'm sure I'm going about this the wrong way.

It would make more sense to have a table of products and a comma delineated list for each color which is generated in admin when I create a product. This would then mean I have one single configurable product attribute set.

Also there would need to be another table for the filter so that I have a general color list where for each color I have a corresponding comma delineated list of equivalent colors

for eg.
White | "Arctic, Cream. Off White, Snow, Bone"
When white is selected in the filter any corresponding colors from the table would generate a match and the respective products would be displayed.

This should be a relatively common issue yet I've found nothing on the subject. What/Where should I be searching for - What am I missing

Thanks