cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I put my products in the right order?

How do I put my products in the right order?

Hello,

When I upload new products on my shop I can't work out how to put them in the right order. ie, when I go to my shop site, new products will be placed in between existing ones, when I want them either left or right. I'd like to be able to organise my products so products of the same type sit together. As it is they are in a random order, which often changes altogether when I add a new product. 

Thanks!

Polly

9 REPLIES 9

Re: How do I put my products in the right order?

Just go into your respected categories and arrange products position as per your needs.\

Path : Catalog >> Manage Categories

Choose respected category and go into "Category Products" tab. Assign positon of products into position column.

All the best cheers Smiley Happy

-
Magento Programmer | Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.

Thank you very much for your reply. I have tried entering numbers from 1-7 (the number of products in this category) in the position column in the order in which I want them to appear. They then scatter in an arbritrary order, which seems to bear no relation to the numbers I've enetered. 

Am I doing something wrong that you can think of?

THANK YOU

@pollycecilia

It seems that you did correct settings for product position from bakend.... still it not work then,.. now.... Have you clear cache and does your compilation is enabled? If yes then dissabled it and refresh your cache and reindex indexers. 

If not work after above steps then I need to check it, PM me with your site info.

Cheers Smiley Happy

-

Thank you. Unfortunately I don't understand some of those instructions. I cleared cache (using Safari I just cleared History - is this the same?) and this didn't help. I don't know what my 'compilation' is and how to enable/disable it. Neither do I know what 'indexers' are and how to 'reindex' them...

If you can clarify I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Polly

@pollycecilia

I mean with Magento cache;  menu : System >> Cache Management. (Flush cache storage).

For compilation go on menu: System >> Tools >> Compilations (Just to make sure compilation Status is "Disabled")

And to reindex go on menu : System >> Index Management.

All the best Smiley Happy

-

@pollycecilia wrote:

Hello,

When I upload new products on my shop I can't work out how to put them in the right order. ie, when I go to my shop site, new products will be placed in between existing ones, when I want them either left or right. I'd like to be able to organise my products so products of the same type sit together. As it is they are in a random order, which often changes altogether when I add a new product. 

Thanks!

Polly

After you carried out the instructions given by "pollycecilia" please answer few questions.

What does the statement "I'd like to be able to organise my products so products of the same type sit together." ?

In magento product display under each category, you could sort those display by "price", "alphabets" and any other attribute you are adding.

Let me explain more on this.

Go to magento admin menu > Catalog > Manage Attributes

When you click open any attribute you could see "Used for Sorting in Product Listing" at the bottom. If set to yes, this attribute will be shown in the product sorting list at the front end.

If you want to have your custom attribute to be sorting , and if that new attribute is not a integer (attributes are text in EAV) then you will have to do some programming on that part.

Please provide more information for the statement "same type sit together" then I will provide more information.

make sure the default 'sort by' of that category is position.

Hi,

There is an extension available in magento connect to sort the product position just by drag and drop from the manage categories section.

Please check the below url 

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/product-sorting-sequence-drag-and-drop.html

Hi,

There is an extension available in magento connect to sort the product position just by drag and drop from the manage categories section.

Please check the below url 

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/product-sorting-sequence-drag-and-drop.html