cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have to import CSV file twice for attributes to update

I have to import CSV file twice for attributes to update

I am importing a bunch of configurable products.

my process has been to import the products using 3 csv files:

1. the file to create all the simple SKUs without image fields,
  2. the file to associate the simple SKUs as super attributes.
  3. the file for the images of the simple SKUs.

the issue I am having is that when I import the first file, the new SKUs are added perfectly, but with the wrong attributes (default ones). So when I import the 2nd file to associate the simple skus it does not work because the attributes are wrong.

I have found though that if I import the first file twice. it correctly updates the attributes and then I can move ahead and import the rest.

It took me a lot of time to figure that out because everything looked perfect in the csv files and would sometimes work (I probably imported twice out of frustration).

But anyways this consistently works and I was wondering why would I need to import it twice??

2 REPLIES 2

Re: I have to import CSV file twice for attributes to update

If I understood correctly you have 3 csv files that has one entry as a relation. First file's entry will be in the second file and second file has 3rd file entry.

Use mysql to import those csv files and then use mysql joins to connect. This will take just one process. It also solves the problem of over sized files.

Else use magento magmisourceforge.net/projects/magmi/

Re: I have to import CSV file twice for attributes to update

I have a feeling magmi is the answer for the amount of imports I am doing. 

But anyways, the first file has 33 simple product.

the second file has 1 configurable product, with the 33 attributes as super attributes

the third file is just the image imports for all the simple products.