cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting product-specific meta titles & descriptions...

Setting product-specific meta titles & descriptions...

I am somewhat new to Magento, so be gentle with me!

I am attempting to work through a client's site and change all their metas on a case-by-case basis, for all pages and products, but I'm having problems.

When I go into a specific product, let's say "Donuts > Plain" and change the meta parameters, they don't appear to stick.  What I get in the title tag is <Donuts - Plain> (which is the Category & the Product) when what I want is obviously a more descriptive, user-centric tag.  I'm sure this is a user issue, but I want to be careful not to mess anything up, so I thought I'd ask here before proceeding.

Many thanks for any guidance!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Setting product-specific meta titles & descriptions...

When you says "Don't appear to stick" Do you mean you are editing them in the Magento Admin section, then you save and when you go back to look at the product your updates are not there?

Magento Moderator since 2009
Keep Calm and Clear Cache!

Yes -- sort of.

When I add the meta titles and descriptions for the specific product, they are still there when I return to the admin pages, but

they do not appear on the actual product pages when I check the code.

Is there some way to turn off a default that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Hi @overeasy

you can check dafaults in System -> Configuration -> General -> Design -> HTML Head -> Default description

Hope that helps!

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
230+ professional extensions for M1 & M2 with free lifetime updates!

I am still confused. Please bear with me.

I removed the meta description from the default description as noted above.

However, then I ended up with NO descripton on a page where I had specifically added a meta title and description for that product.

Is this really this hard?  Is there an SEO extension that would make this smoother???

I am assuming you are using 1.9

Magento Moderator since 2009
Keep Calm and Clear Cache!

Looks like v1.7.0.2

Like I said, I'm not involved on that side of the equation, but if an upgrade is called for, please advise.

Thanks!

I'm amazed that I'm having the problem I am getting a solution to this problem :-)

Any ideas?

To recap:  change the meta on a product page, but those metas do not appear on the page when it is published.  Instead I get the "category-product name" as the title.

Any help from any quarter is much appreciated!