cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Magento that much difficult , and what tasks will i be working on as a Magento Developer?

Why is Magento that much difficult , and what tasks will i be working on as a Magento Developer?

I saw one question/answer **[here][1]** ,but didnt solve my question.

Hi, I am software developer with 2 years of experience.

I worked on 1 project till now which was actually theme customization project(theme was purchased by the client). When I started learning (since last 3 months) , I dont get solid idea of coding in Magento like I had in OOP Php, Cakephp, Codeigniter etc. Still i dont feel I am solid developer in Magento.

My qestion is why is it difficult for a developer who hasnt worked on Zend framework ?

And 2nd one : What tasks will i be working on as a Magento Developer?

P.S. I asked the question on programmer.stackexchange(**[Here][2]**), but users with high repution told me to ask the question here, to get answer.

Thanks

[1]: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3525118/is-magento-development-too-difficult-for-a-junior-develop...
[2]: http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/281894/why-is-magento-that-much-difficult-and-what-ta...

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Why is Magento that much difficult , and what tasks will i be working on as a Magento Developer?

Hi,

Magento can have a steep learning curve, some will learn faster than others. Having previous experience with similar technologies help. For instance I had Experience with Zend Framework development but what really helped me was to have worked with Joomla and Xoops. My suggestion is try to read some blogs about Magento development and get an idea how Magento works at a high level.

As for tasks for you as a Magento developer this is very broad and it really depends on your client. One day you could be working the administration adding reports but the next you could be building a new checkout page. My daily tasks change very often, sometimes one task can take a whole week or month. Now what you may want to learn like the palm of your hand is how Magento rewrites work, how layout works and more importantly why the Varien_Object class is so vital to everything.

I hope this helps.

Re: Why is Magento that much difficult , and what tasks will i be working on as a Magento Developer?

My qestion is why is it difficult for a developer who hasnt worked on Zend framework ?

The anwer to this is very subjective. One developer may find it easy while the next may find it difficult. 

How would you define difficult. Would you say it would be easy to jump into a C# project using .net and MS SQL on a web applicaiton? I would think that they would be equally complicated.

What tasks will i be working on as a Magento Developer?

There are many roles a developer can take and there are four seperate exams that reflect at least part of these tasks. 

Here are clarification questions:

Are you refering to Front end work or backend work

Are you integrating to third parties.

Will your work involve integrating standard data?

Will you integrate non-standard data that will be presented to the client in a different way?

Thank you very much sir ! I appreciate it!