cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

custom options on configurable products with no associated products

custom options on configurable products with no associated products

Hi,

I see that in magento if a configurable product has no associated products to it custom options don't show on frontend,I set the product in inventory but still nothing. I know it is possible but I am not much of a programmer so I dont have a clue where to start and havent found any useful info on the web,any help is much appreciated.

Thx

3 REPLIES 3

Re: custom options on configurable products with no associated products

Hi @Boris77,

If you are not associating products, and just want to add custom options, then you should create simple products instead of configurable products.

The configurable products are meant to have simple products associated to them, so the product page can show the configurable dropdowns.

Best regards.
Gabriel

Welcome to the Magento Forums. Remember to introduce yourself and read the Magento Forums Guidelines.

Hi Gabriel,

first thank you for replying. I know that,but my problem is that I have a tshirt shop 

I made few years ago,back then I didn't know that custom options can have dependency

if one installs an extension,so I made all products as configurable. I have like 300-400 products, it is a short sleeve tshirt with print,it has 3 options,color,model and size,now I would like to add to each product 6 more models of a tshirt,and it would be a lot of associated simple products and a looot of clicking,so I wanted to install custom options  dependency exension,make a template and delete associated products and it is done,fast and I dont have so many products in the store(associated simple).But as you can see I cannot do that

like I wanted. 

Second solution would be to change product type to simple, I didn't find any good solution,

I tried to alter it in a database on my test local magento installation(just one product),and it worked,but I read that it is not a good  idea,that I can mess up database. Now I don't know

what to do.  Isn't it possible to programmatically change the code that checks if a configurable product has associated products,or is it in stock,remove that and than it loads 

custom options like it is in stock?

As I said I am not much of a programmer,but I spent a lot of time browsing the net,and didn't

a clue to solve this,I guess the reason is like you said that when people want something like this they just make simple product,but the problem is that I have products as configurable.

Best regards 

Boris

Hi,

Looking at your reply, I suggest https://www.mageworx.com/advanced-product-options-magento-extension.html. But I am no way associate with the vendor MageWorx.

This module I have installed and utilised in many ways. I personally can suggest you, this using this module you can:

1. add 30 custom options under configurable and simple product, remember you can have custom option depencies etc.

2. take stock into account for custom options.

Take a look, this might help you.