cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

403 Forbidden on when trying to Manage Categories

SOLVED

403 Forbidden on when trying to Manage Categories

I'm getting a 403 Forbidden error show up when attempting to access Admin Panel > Catalog > Manage Categories (http://domain.com/index.php/admin/catalog_category/index/key/9613f2d94433f3bfbe0d503313ed37bb/) probably since I've installed the latest security patch.

After searching around, I'm assuming this is because of a permissions issue, all the solutions I've come across involve logging in via SSH, the hosting plan I'm on doesn't support SSH.

Oh and the installation is on Magento ver. 1.9.1.0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: 403 Forbidden on when trying to Manage Categories

I got this resolved a few weeks back.

There were recent changes made to mod_security from my web host.

I contacted them about the issue I was having and they made some configuration changes, and it's now working again.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi,

I'm not sure how did you apply the security patch without accessing SSH.

Anyway try to make all files permission to 644(including files in the directories) and directory permission to 755.

If you had access to SSH this could be easy with two commands.

find * -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 0755 # for directories
find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 0644 # for files

Should be ok.

Melbourne | Australia - priyan.d@webdesignace.com.au
My Magento 1x Shop

I'm having the same issue.

I've checked the file and directory permissions and they all seem to be in order (755 for directories, 644 for files across the board). Everything else works, even editing the product category from the product view, but trying to open Category Management returns a 403 error.

The Apache error log provides the following error:
[Tue Sep 15 12:34:30.270862 2015] [access_compat:error] [pid 655822:tid 140544969742080] [client <my ip>] AH01797: client denied by server configuration: /home/redblack/public_html/magento/app/etc/local.xml

Does the Apache error mean there's something going on with mod_rewrite or something?

I got this resolved a few weeks back.

There were recent changes made to mod_security from my web host.

I contacted them about the issue I was having and they made some configuration changes, and it's now working again.

this is old but I am having a similar problem, can you describe what the changes were that "they" made - plz? Maybe post the updated file