cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graceful Reboot - necessary after patches?

Graceful Reboot - necessary after patches?

Hi, I have Magento 1.8.0 and I did download and install succesfully all pactches 5334 - 5994 - 6285 trough PuTTy

One major problem appeared - everything was locked after this. Website is not possible to open or magento back end either. Just this appear:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /domain.xx/magento/ on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I couldn't make this last step:

Step 11: Gracefully Restart the Server
The final step is to restart the server to flush any remaining caches, such as the APC and/or Zend OpCache. The following steps show how to gracefully restart the server without disrupting pages from being served, or causing loss of data.
1. If your server has a control panel such as cPanel, look for the option to gracefully reboot the server. On cPanel, select Home > System Reboot > Graceful Server Reboot.

Because I have a shared server and webhotel and server reboot is impossible.

Has anyone faced this? Has everyone managed to reboot his/her server after the patches?

Or do your webshops work without reboot and could I have some other major problem?

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Graceful Reboot - necessary after patches?

reboot is only needed when you install kernel or any security updates to some system packages.

if you change anything in webstack or application you only have to "restart services".

and if you have an error you have to look into error log.

in this case you need to change your permissions on that folder

------------
MagenX - Magento and Server optimization

A stupid question - are these pactches 5334 - 5994 - 6285 such security updates to system packages?

If they are and need reboot, then these are impossible to use on shared server (web hotel) ?

in this case you have to flush magento cache only.

------------

Thanks, this make sense. I have to try again these patches. I managed to restore my backup  with cPanel and webshop works, but without patches at the moment.

Now a new backup and a new trial with patches - and a report here too Smiley Wink

restoring site from backups when you see an error is a bad habit

one day you will mess too much with it... try to read your error logs first.

------------