cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

install security patch without access to SSH or telnet?

SOLVED

install security patch without access to SSH or telnet?

I'm on a shared server (i know, i know) and my isp does not allow access via SSH or telnet.

is there another way to install security patches? Community Edition 1.8

thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: install security patch without access to SSH or telnet?

Well, if you're running a staging or development server which should really be the case if you're serious about running Magento and testing your upgrades before they bust your live e-commerce web server, then apply the patches on that, note the files patched in app/etc/applied.patches.list and copy those files to your non-SSH managable web server.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Same here...

Can you have your hosting provider execute the patch command for you instead? 

Did they let you know the reason why they do not allow SSH access? 

Hi,

You can check diff of pathced and not patched file at the my github account. Its for 1.8.x - 1.9.x . Also you can copy from there patched file and replace it contains. Github Diff Link.

Thanks

Well, if you're running a staging or development server which should really be the case if you're serious about running Magento and testing your upgrades before they bust your live e-commerce web server, then apply the patches on that, note the files patched in app/etc/applied.patches.list and copy those files to your non-SSH managable web server.

it's a relatively inexpensive provider with shared hosting -- they do not provide SSH access due to security concerns (their words, not mine) -- and since Magento is not their product ... well, let's just say i needed to find another solution  

thanks for the responses everyone! 

@sashas7777 wrote:

Hi,

You can check diff of pathced and not patched file at the my github account. Its for 1.8.x - 1.9.x . Also you can copy from there patched file and replace it contains. Github Diff Link.

Thanks

Thanks Sashas7777,

But after using your files I can no longer access the backend admin --- cleared the cache and sessions, but only a white screen -- no login screen at all.

Hello, it is sufficient just to copy the file and it's good?

@strobotron wrote:

it's a relatively inexpensive provider with shared hosting -- they do not provide SSH access due to security concerns (their words, not mine) -- and since Magento is not their product ... well, let's just say i needed to find another solution  

thanks for the responses everyone! 

Well if they can't allow SSH access for you, they should at least be able to execute the command for you? 

Anyway most providers will be able to provide SSH and to mitigate the security risk, you usually just need to provide a valid Photo ID. 

Hi,

I updated github with the one more file which was missed. http.php it was missing there. You can copy files but make backup copy of original ones.