cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All catalog product images are placeholders after flushing image cache

SOLVED

All catalog product images are placeholders after flushing image cache

My client reported that he was having trouble with a new product - he uploaded images as usual, and they were fine from the admin side, but on the site the images were displaying as the Magento placeholder. In the course of trying to resolve the problem for him, I flushed the image cache. Now all of the images on the site are displaying as the Magento placeholder. The site uses a CDN but nothing seems amiss with the CDN configuration. I've tried deleting var/cache/ and var/session/ folders, checked permissions on the /media folder, etc., but nothing has worked yet. Any other suggestions? This is CE 1.8 by the way. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: All catalog product images are placeholders after flushing image cache

The issue with all of the images being represented by a placeholder was fixed by restoring all of the image files from a backup. (Who knows why, since the files were there all along and not corrupt or anything.)

View solution in original post

Your solution still points to a permission based issue because uploading the images can change the permissions of the files you overwrite.

Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!
www.iwebsolutions.co.uk | Magento Small Business Partner

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

One thing I found in searching was that sometimes if there's a permissions problem on the server, the media/catalog/product/cache folder won't get recreated automatically after image cache is flushed. I checked via ftp and the folder was indeed missing, so I just created it manually. Permissions on it were set to 755 by default after it was created, so I changed them to 775 like all the other subdirectories under media/catalog/product. Hoping that does the trick. Doesn't seem to have made a difference. (Also cleared browser cache and deleted all var/cache subdirectories prior to reloading the page.)

Hi.

Try setting the permission on the var/cache and media folders to 0777 instead;

chmod -R 0777 var/cache media/

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for that idea. Re-uploading all of the image files from a backup fixed the issue for almost all of the images. The only one that is still displaying a placeholder for all its images is the product most recently added to the site. I deleted those images and re-uploaded them via the catalog (swf uploader). Checking via ftp in the appropriate media/catalog/product directory, I can see that the newly uploaded images are there - but Magento apparently can't find them.

Any other ideas for solving this problem would be most welcome.

jrd

By the way - I tried the permissions change for /media to 777 and it didn't have any effect.

The issue with all of the images being represented by a placeholder was fixed by restoring all of the image files from a backup. (Who knows why, since the files were there all along and not corrupt or anything.)

Your solution still points to a permission based issue because uploading the images can change the permissions of the files you overwrite.

What about

Options +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch

in /.htacces and /media/.htaccess?

i delete the files from following folders

/media/tmp/catalog/product

it works for me.