cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alt Text For Store Images And Swatches

Alt Text For Store Images And Swatches

Hello Everyone I'm new using Magento but I have been asked to look at a friends site because I do SEO.

The problem I have is that none of the images have alt text for them which is bad for SEO, however I have no idea where to even add this alt text I have trawled the internet and been advised in should be put in the label field. but this doesn't show up in the source code as alt text there just isn't any there. most of the images and dont have titles or alt text and there doesnt seem or at least I can't find an option to go in and add it. I'm even getting it for the swatch colours that have been added too.

Are these options only able to be added on the upload of an image rather than after? Ive no idea but any help from you in the know would be truly appreciated!

Thank You In advance

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Alt Text For Store Images And Swatches

Hi @Trendz85,

You can edit your product and then add the labels.

On my example the image of the product hasn't label value.

Product image without labelProduct image without label

If we check frontend the image won't have the ALT value.

Product image without ALT valueProduct image without ALT value

But we can edit the product and set the label for each image.

Set the image labelSet the image label

And now the image will have the ALT value.

Product image with ALT valueProduct image with ALT value

Hello Damian,

Firstly I'd like to thank you for your reply in trying to help me with this problem.

As you can see from this screenshot I have filled in the label for the product Item 

I,E children's polo shirt

magento label.png

However regardless of this the Alt text still does not show up in the front end code as highlighted

No alt text showing.png

And Also again here

no alt text 2.png

Is there some settings in Admin panel that may have been misconfigured that are causing this issue possibly? 

Alt Text ( Part 2) Sorry 

I have also noted that the colour swatch images actually don't have any alt text at all and this also gets flagged up every time with SEO tools as per the screenshot.

Swatch colours no alt text.png

Damian is there a way to add alt text to these swatch images that are already uploaded and where would I need to go to do that?

Again I'd like to thank you for all your help so far, and any further advice offered. 

I clearly need to take the Magento courses once I can afford to step up my Magento SEO game! haha

Thanks Chris

Can anyone help with this?

It's so frustrating knowing what the problem is but not knowing how to sort it using the Magento CMS

Sorry but your images aren't visible yet (it seems that a moderator needs to approve your uploads).

Maybe you can share your images in another way? (Some online service?)

On this subject of the Label and SEO, how wound you recommend the use of special characters and their affect on SEO? ie copyright and register symbols.

Thanks Much! 

Hi @corean_nissen,

Using UTF-8 you should be able to use those symbols but you can use htmlentites.