cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot View newly uploaded images on frontend

Cannot View newly uploaded images on frontend

I'm having a problem where newly uploaded images are not displaying on the frontend. Anything that was previously uploaded displays correctly, but any image upload now will not display. I've noticed that this affects images added to a cms page and even the default logo in the header after I replaced it. This does NOT, for some reason, affect product images. Those display correctly.

I have looked around in the forum and tried many things which did not help and one thing that sort-of did. I've changed the permissions to the media and media/cache folders to 777, I've cleared cache, re-indexed and recompiled with no luck. What seemed to work is editing the .htaccess file in the media folder. I commented out the "RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f" line BUT now the newly uploaded files load slowly as if they are not being cached. I've also tried un-installing and re-installing some recent extensions but that didn't help. I'd like to figure out how to correctly fix the issue so that the images display (and cache) correctly.

I'm running version 1.9.2.2 with the most recent patches already (manually) installed.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Cannot View newly uploaded images on frontend

There is a problem after you install 7405 or upgarde to 1.9.2.3 which will result in a permission error on file uploads from admin

http://magento.stackexchange.com/questions/98220/security-patch-supee-7405-possible-problems

Thank you! This allowed pointed me to a secondary fix that allows the images to show in the frontend without having to edit the .htaccess file. I'm simply changing the newly uploaded image permissions to 644 from 640 for now. I know this isn't a perfect solution but it will work for now.

Changing the image file permissions back to 644 circumvents the security patch. You should instead let the web server user take ownership of the files. 

Please see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34957448/chmod-640-for-uploaded-file-after-supee-7405-patch

There's a new patch out that reverts that change. There's also a new release: 1.9.2.4

Tanel Raja