cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double Taxation - VAT - Shopping Cart & Checkout - Grand Total Excl. Shows Tax Included!

Double Taxation - VAT - Shopping Cart & Checkout - Grand Total Excl. Shows Tax Included!

I have a magento installation, and a customer pointed out that our site was incorrectly calculating taxes.

If you add an item or more (that's not a sample, eg Free) to the cart, and then view the cart or continue through to checkout, you'll notice a very weird issue.

Let's say the product is 259.95
Tax is 20% (VAT, UK)

Subtotal: 259.95
Grand Total Excl Tax : 311.94
Tax: 51.99
Grand Total Inc. Tax: 363.93

It should however, read:
Subtotal: 259.95
Grand Total Excl Tax : 259.95
Tax: 51.99
Grand Total Inc. Tax: 311.94

It adds the amount taxable to the 259.95 and includes that value in the excl tax price. Then it adds the tax again and adds it to the grand total inc. tax line.

I have been through multiple sites checking setup.
The setup i have is:
Config>Sales>Tax
** All settings are noted to be excluding tax
** Tax calculation method based upon total
** Tax calculation based upon Shipping Origin
** Apply Customer Tax before discount
** Default Tax destinations are set to UK (it's a UK site, this is correct for this install)

I've also reinstalled all the core files
I've also disabled all extensions.
I've also reverted back to the default theme.

- None of the above has fixed the issue. Followed all the UK setup tutorials and it just doesn't work correctly. The weird thing is, it used too. I don't know when it stopped working, it was only today that a customer pointed this out to us.

- One anomaly, if I do paypal checkout it passes through all the correct information.

Debugging shows that the function pulling the amount shows tax incl. and it shouldn't.

All the settings in the Sales > Tax section are as advised in all documentation.

Running 1.9.2

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Double Taxation - VAT - Shopping Cart & Checkout - Grand Total Excl. Shows Tax Included!

I have a client who uses Magento and this is the exact same issue they are facing.  Any help on how to fix this would be great.

Re: Double Taxation - VAT - Shopping Cart

I went to 4 different "experts" and paid about $1000 just to get them to check it out and tell me the settings where correct and they couldn't figure it out...

I figured it out myself. It's the code! Somewhere something gets messed up.

What I did. Copied the config files for the login database etc, theme files, images etc. then I reuploaded a brand new version of magento. I did NOT overwrite any files. I just started fresh.

Reupload the theme. Config. Files. It really did work!