cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email not working after site migration

Email not working after site migration

First it's been a long time since I messed with Magento many years ago.  We just took over a company using magento for one of their eCommerce sites.  Migration process for most process went well, I can see orders coming in etc.  But I'm having an issue with email being sent to customer and order email.  With SMTP pro extension, it says test email are successful.  I've tested the email mailboxes outside of magento and have no issues sending and receiving emails after migration.  I've read these are done with cron job, but i don't see and email sending cron jobs.  I can assume this is set for instant email sending.  I have no opposition to this being a cron job if this is better.  Also it looks like its running version 1.8.1.0

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Email not working after site migration

Email queing was not added until Magento 1.9.1, so if you are on 1.8.1 the problem is probably not the cron job. When you are mentioning site migration, do you mean you transferred the site to another server? It might be that the new server does not allow outgoing emails through an external mail server. Have a look in the email logs if you can find some additional information.

Sindre M, CEO & Founder
ProperHost.com - The Magento Hosting Experts

Re: Email not working after site migration

SindreM,

Thanks for your reply.  In regards to the site migration, yes we bought an existing company and moved the site to our server.  As far as basic troubleshooting: I host other sties on this server and no issues with sending mail there, I created a quick mail script in the root of the magento directory and it sent that test email to the destination.  I also used SMTP pro extension to test and it says it was successful.   I see the orders come in, and I check the logs, but nothing shows errors.  So I'm guessing what triggers magento to send an email when an order is received is not working.  I can at least confirm that it was working before I moved it.