cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having problem with reindexing and enabling log

Having problem with reindexing and enabling log

Hi,

Suddenly today when i tried to reindex the site via ssh it gave me a permission error. I tried doing it from the back end and the system kept processing the indexes for more than 3 hours when i closed the page. After that i am getting the following error on the front end:

Warning: chmod(): Permission denied in /home/dubaimachines/public_html/app/Mage.php on line 822

Warning: file_put_contents(/home/dubaimachines/public_html/var/log/system.log): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/dubaimachines/public_html/app/Mage.php on line 821

When i go to the backend and go to configuration > developer > log settings and change enable = No from enable = yes the site works fine. 

Now i am confused. how do i enable log to yes and reindex my site in peace. need urgent help here.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Having problem with reindexing and enabling log

Hi @mzeeshan00

What is the directory permission currently set on vat/log directory?

Till then Please refer following documentation After You Install Magento: Recommended File System Ownership and Privileges

---
Problem Solved Click Accept as Solution!:Magento Community India Forum

it is set at CHmod 0750

750 means that only owner can write. So if you're not owner of the log file (usually you're not as they belong to web server) you're supposed to get this error.

750 means:
User:rwx Group:r-x World:---

Tanel Raja