cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import images with same names

Import images with same names

Hi I'm trying to import a really big amount of products to my new magento shop. I have a problem with the import. I have some products that are the same products with only small changes (like the height or width) so I want to use the same images for those products. 

So my csv looks like 

sku    |  image

--------------------------
ABC  | /image1.jpg

--------------------------
DEF  | /image1.jpg 

-------------------------

The problem is that Magento imports only the first image and the second line gives an error "Image doesn't exists" 

What can I do? There is a way to import the same image for multiple products? 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Import images with same names

Hello.

Starting from version 1.9.x, Magento by default adds _1 (number) and this way re-names your current image name if the image with exactly the same name already exists at your FTP. This happens because Magento now requires unique image names, even if you use the same image for a few products, so mind that before uploading.

Check via FTP (directory media/catalog/product + 2 folders on corresponding to 2 symbols in image name) if only this one image has been physically uploaded to server or if there are also picture records with _number

Store Manager for Magento 1.x and 2.x - inventory management tool to automatically update products, customers, orders, and other data across multiple sales channels and suppliers.

Ohw now I understand. Do you think that if I try to use an importer that takes the image from an URL gives the same problem? 

It depends upon importer. If I understood you correctly you are talking about importer extension, as default Magento 1.x does not allow to import images by URLs at all.

For instance, such importer as import tool available in Store Manager for Magento application allows to import images by URLs and it also has very useful option during import to automatically generate new image name if the same already exists on FTP. This way you can ensure that images are uploaded correctly.

If you are interested you can check 14-day free fully-functional trial of Store Manager from the link in my signature. Free support included.

Store Manager for Magento 1.x and 2.x - inventory management tool to automatically update products, customers, orders, and other data across multiple sales channels and suppliers.