cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orders without email address

Orders without email address

Hey everyone,

I occasionally have an issue with some orders coming in WITHOUT an email address. The customer is obviously checking out as a guest, but the order is somehow coming with an email address. Here's a screen shot of my last 5 orders from the admin landing page, you'll see that the 4th order has a blank where the customer name should be. 

http://www.awesomescreenshot.com/image/836164/de04c946bac2ae4806444f0a540638e2

The customer name shows up on the order page, but email address shows up.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Orders without email address

I have no idea how/why, but I see the same thing occasionally. I always figured it was some kind of "script-kiddy" thing the customers were doing to "get over" somehow, but I recently talked to one who insisted otherwise.

Looking into it a little bit further, at least in my case, it seems to happen when a customer has a customer account but does not log in when placing the order. Somehow the email address is not carried over when the order is created. I also notice that the order shows up in the Dashboard without a name in these cases as well.

Would be nice to see some participation or even an answer here, but that might be too much to hope for from Magento Forums.....

It's due to the way how your payment method handles guest customers. There are two possibilities:

- your payment method is buggy, guest customers are not handled well

- you're having custom code / 3rd party extension which is in conflict with payment method

So, for those orders without email/name, check what payment method is used. That's the starting point. Paste the name here, maybe someone had experience with it already.

If this response was helpful to you, consider giving kudos to this post.
If this response solved your problem, click accept as solution to help others solve this issue

I have the same issue you mentioned: At the dasboard overview there is no name next to the order. But what is worse is that the customer does not receive a confirmation mail because somehow the email address field is empty (I can see that because I receive every order confirmation email from the system).

I can totally confirm what gnicko said:
"[...] it seems to happen when a customer has a customer account but does not log in when placing the order. Somehow the email address is not carried over when the order is created. I also notice that the order shows up in the Dashboard without a name in these cases as well."

However, I am not sure where to start fixing this. I am using the paypal Plus Onestepcheckout. I have had approx. 10 cases with this issue this year and all of the orders were paying via paypal (using paypal as payment method).

Can someone confirm this or has similar issues?

I have the same problem. guest order email are empty. i'm using payson checkout.

No, @Sinisa I don't think so. It seems to be a problem with the base Magento code. It's almost as if the order validation returns false positive from time to time for some reason and the order processes without the required information. I don't think that this is the case, the orders do contain necessary information to process, but that's the behavior.

The payment method seems to be irrelevant as I see examples with different payment methods (Authorize.net, PayPal) and the vast majority of orders placed with any payment method are correctly handling the information. It seems to happen on the order of one in several thousand orders... and may not occur for months, then twice in one week, etc.

I got that behavior right now... after investigating i've found out that all of these orders got an existing customer, so i think it has to be something to do with that special construct.

Beste Grüße | Regards, Roman from CopeX.io

I can reproduce this behavior:

1. Activate persistent shoping cart

2. Login as a customer (remember me checked)

3. Add some products to cart

4. Logout

5. Go to checkout

6. Checkout as guest with the E-Mail address used for the customer account

We had the same issues (no email when guest order and account exist). In our case the problem was solved by disabling the "persistent cart" function

There must be a bug in handling the persistent session with existing accounts somehow.

We're experiencing this as well.