cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of stock when backorders are allowed - ready to replace Magento

Out of stock when backorders are allowed - ready to replace Magento

I have tried, and tried, and tried to find a solution for this issue, but please try and point me into correct place if I just have not found it.

My problem is allowing customers to order products that are "Out of stock", meaning their stock is zero units. We have several items in our portfolio we sell only on order, and do not keep them in stock as our business is seasonal for som eproducts. But if a customer cannot add the product into his/hers shopping cart, and finalize the order, it is almost impossible to sell any of these products.

We have Magento 1.9.0.1 and we push the products and stock information from our backend software. I have tried all possible settings and combinations. I have global setting for "Allow backorders below 0, and notify customers" set to Yes. I have "Show Out of stock products" set to yes. I have tried to set "Manage stock" to No, and pushing the stock from our backend SW, always same results. Product just becomes Out Of Stock when someone orders it.

The same happens when I make a new product, it comes into our Magento as Out Of stock, regardless of settings.

I just cannot get products to show "Add to cart" if the stock level is zero. And I just cannot understand the logic behind these setings, or the logic behind the designers of Magento if this is just how it works. And I cannot start checking the stock status from every single order that might have such products ordered.

I am pretty sure that this was not a problem when I started to use Magento few years ago (maybe late 1.8 or early 1.9) but now it is. And it is killing me, literally.

So, please, someone, help me out to get my shop to be able to sell zero stock products to my customers.

Regards, and hapopy holidays,

/nico

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Out of stock when backorders are allowed - ready to replace Magento

Hi @JNMarine,

I understand what you're trying to configure and I'm pretty sure that it works on a vanilla Magento.

Can you share the Inventory general configuration and some products (stock) attributes (also, the public URL's) ?

Thanks @Damian Culotta for replying to me.

Sure i can, but the site is mostly in Finnish... I'll try to translate is as good as possible. You probably know the fields anyway.

Admin Config:

Kyllä = Yes

Ei = No

mag_inventory.PNG

Same thing from a product Stock for two different products, I set 1pcs in stock so it became In stock.

mag_product.PNG

mag_product2.PNG

In Varastossa = In Stock

And the same products on our Dev site:

http://dev.merikartat.piimega.fi/simrad-nss12-evo3-12-monitoiminaytto.html

http://dev.merikartat.piimega.fi/simrad-nss16-evo3-16-monitoiminaytto.html

Now I place an order for both two products in Magento, the order will be sent to our backend software, where these items will be "reserved" for this delivery. This means their available stock will be changed into 0 pcs, but they will still be "In stock" in Magento backend.

After I deliver and invoice them, they will change into Out Of Stock.

mag_stock.PNG

Now I would have to go and set the stock status manually every time I sell a product that is "On Order" even I have a system that gives me the opportunity to allow backorders.

Does these images give you any more hints towards my problem?

/nico

I'm sorry but images appear as unmoderated (I can't see those images).

Maybe some moderator can help.

Everything seems to be ok. Just to be sure: did you reindex everything after you changed values? Also maybe you changed something on different scope level .. you have two languages there after all?

Tanel Raja

All settings are done on Global scope. I need to do some thinking since this is definetly not working as it should.

Thanks for all help!

Alright, but just in case check out if there's no overrides on store view level.

Tanel Raja