cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many items in the cart > Service unavailable

SOLVED

Too many items in the cart > Service unavailable

Hello,

I'm having a strange issue on our Magento installation. Basically once an user adds several items on the cart, the cart page becomes inaccessible, showing "Service unavailable".

Everything else is working fine, skipping the cart page and going directly to the checkout seems to work, but the cart is still not accessible.

I increased the memory limit to 1024MB and also the execution time for PHP, still no results.

Currently I'm following a case with 209 items in the cart (roughly 70 distinct products), but customers reported the same error with as low as 26 items.

I'm working on switching to FastCHI and enable APC in our server, anything else you might suggest checking out?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Too many items in the cart > Service unavailable

Thanks.

It took me all day to figure it out but I found it!

An extension was the problem. The extension created some cross-sells items randomly, instead of manually. I guess the code was not optimized at all. Disabling it did the trick!

PS: I tried this solution before, but didn't work obviously, since the culprit was the extension. I'll keep the downloadables and rss disabled anyway, since I'm not using them.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi,

I'll recommend you to review php error logs maybe you will find more info there. If issue related to memory limit and 1024MB is not enough you shouldn't increase it more to fix issue.You will pay a lot of money for server once you will have more customers. Even if page use more than 30-50Mb it's not very good. So, I guess you need to check error logs and debug/profile code to see what cause issue. 

Hi Art, thanks for the reply.

That's the thing, the php errors seem to show no trace, and not even the Magento logs.

I just tried to add some products to the cart, and it becomes incrementally slower after just a few items, until it's no more accessible after 6˜10 items. 

It's hard to make judgement what caused that issue to you, but in general, 200 items in shopping cart is the issue for the most. I can suggest to you to disable Mage_Rss and Mage_Downloadable modules, if you're not using them:

app/etc/modules/Mage_Downloadable.xml set <active> line to false.

app/etc/modules/Mage_All.xml find <active> line for Mage_Rss and set tofalse gg

Also, you can consider recommendations from following link, it may help you to speed up your Magento further:

https://www.goivvy.com/blog/5-fixes-slow-magento-19-checkout-add-to-cart

In general, there is no silver-bullet, at the end you'll have to do some profiling of Magento cart/checkout process in order to identify bottlenecks.

If this response was helpful to you, consider giving kudos to this post.
If this response solved your problem, click accept as solution to help others solve this issue

Thanks.

It took me all day to figure it out but I found it!

An extension was the problem. The extension created some cross-sells items randomly, instead of manually. I guess the code was not optimized at all. Disabling it did the trick!

PS: I tried this solution before, but didn't work obviously, since the culprit was the extension. I'll keep the downloadables and rss disabled anyway, since I'm not using them.

Can you share the name of the extension which caused issues to you? Maybe someone will find it helpful and solve its issue.

If this response was helpful to you, consider giving kudos to this post.
If this response solved your problem, click accept as solution to help others solve this issue