cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crowdsourcing Theme Design

Crowdsourcing Theme Design

Hi everyone, just signing up as I've got a potential first client / family friend (so its a good opportunity to make some learning mistakes) who wants an online shop which Magento is well suited for. 

I've previously developed in Wordpress and after reading/watching tutorials about Magento have a good understanding of the basics. My design skills are poor, so I'm looking to outsource the design to one of these crowdfunding sites like 99designs or designcrowd. In the specification I need to write the list of pages/blocks that need to be designed. My list looks like so:

• Homepage
  • Category Page
  • Single Product Page
  • Search Results Page
  • Text based page with common element styles (to be used for about us, delivery info, etc)
  • Sign in / register page
  • Checkout & basket pages
  • Review pages

Have I missed anything?

I'll probably end up asking the designer to design just the homepage and product page as part of the competition and will ask for the design to complete the rest separately. I'll then find a suitable PSD to Magento coder and move like that. Any tips/advice would be most welcome. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Crowdsourcing Theme Design

You don't need to worry about search page as it's almost identical to category pages.

What you need to consider also are 404 page, compare, wishlist and My Account pages (there is a metric ton of those). Also it's good idea to spend some effort designing Purchase Successful page as it's always a good idea to be nice with someone who just gave you money.

Tanel Raja

thanks for the tip. If the designer just designs a few key pages from the account section, a good coder should be able to replicate suitable styling?

As this product is usually a once off purchase for a while (mower machines) the features like wishlist wont be needed. I also imagine only a few account pages will be needed as its pretty much a single order system 

If styles are done correctly, all pages will benefit from it. You can skip most of My Account pages this way. Still, its always good idea to have custom 404 page.

Tanel Raja

Thank you kindly

So does that mean maybe my list is too extensive or would you say that's the minimum requirements? Not trying to scrape, just trying to work out how best to brief this design 

Most important pages are front page, category page, product page and 404 (this can be omitted if you really feel like cutting corners). Everything else can done using style elements (buttons, headers, tables, lists and so on).

Tanel Raja

appreciate the help!