cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navigation

Navigation

Hello,

I am currently working with Magento 1.9.2.1.  This is a fresh install and the first time working with this version.  A am recreating and old site that we had on 1.5.1.  Within the old site we had a navigation bar at the top which I created with a static block and then used that block in a widget.  Can I not do that now in 1.9.2.1?  I have been trying to do it that way and when I go to my front end I see nothing.  It's not rocket science on how to set up a widget that can do that but maybe I am missing something within the new version of Magento.  The old URL is http://old.giftstotheyanks.org/.  Thought it might help to see how it is on the old site.  I know I could create a menu within Category but then I would have to do URL rewrite for all my menu links... Not what I had planned for today.  Has anyone had problems with this as well? 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Navigation

I think I may have found my own answer.  I just added the navigation widget I made into my CMS home page.  It showed up. I didn’t think to even try that before asking this question.

How did you create that widget? I'm not familiar with that, and I would like to have my categories be on the navigation bar again.

Everett,

Basically what I did was create my navigation bar as "static block".  Then I went into my "CMS" pages and clicked on my home page.  Once there I went to the content tab on the right and then within the content box I added a widget.  You can pick to place a widget in there with your "place widget" button inside the editor.  So make sure you aren't hiding your editor. Once you click on it it will ask widget type.  In the drop down you can choose CMS static block.  Once you chose the static block of "navigation" which you all ready made it should show up on your front end.

Great! you tried more times instead of stop thinking. This approach is always needed for developers.

Follow my blog I guess you're looking same. http://mehtagaurav.blogspot.in/2011/11/magento-navigation-menu-of-cms-pages.html

Cheers Smiley Happy

-
Magento Programmer | Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.