cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with installing themes

Problems with installing themes

hi everyone,

I'm trying to install a free template through Magento Connect. I install the theme there and the instructions says that I have to copy the name of the package and paste is into system -> conficuration -> design -> themes -> default. I've done this but still it won't show. The default page is still on the home page. I'm I missing something? Or is there some other way?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Problems with installing themes

I have the same problem, but I will be more specific. I went to MagentoConnect and installed the free Kartparadigm Elegance Theme following http://tutorialmagento.com/how-to-change-magento-theme instructions. I enter the 'theme name' in the default field of the System>Configuration>Design>Themes view. I also flushed Magento Cache, Image Cache, JS/CSS cache, and storage cache, as well as cleared browser cache and restarted the browser. What exactly is the theme name, and where do I find the name-value that Magento looks for? What steps are missing from the tutorial instructions?

It seems that one has to go into CMS>Pages, select a page and set its custom design. It's a bit labor intensive, as you have to repeat it for every page in your site. I suppose there might be a way to set your custom design as the default, but it is not readily apparent.

You do following steps to fix your problem:

1. Check the theme document on magento theme owner page. Maybe they have some special instruction

2. Make sure you configure new theme available in backend unless it still using old theme.

3. Make sure the home page layout and blocks are added and configured

Make sure there are no theme changes overriding the default theme in System->Design (different to the main configuration Design section!).

Also make sure theme changes are not being overriden at store or website level.

You can find theme name by looking over FTP at your site and looking in the app/design/frontend folder. This will show all the themes available to you.

Did you find a resolution to this problem? I am also trying to install the Elegance theme and can't get it to work. Thanks!

Yes I just gave every separate page the theme. Just go to CMS>Pages and then at costum disign set the theme for the page. I don't know if this is the proper way to do ut, but I also can't get it done the traditional way.