cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting some of the elements to be full width in the a Magento Theme

SOLVED

Setting some of the elements to be full width in the a Magento Theme

Hey, everyone,

I'm new to Magento and new to CSS too. But I'm not afraid to try and learn. I've successfully installed Magento and a Theme I've purchased online. However, I want to make some of the parts in on the website to be full width(100%). Such as the Navigation Menu, Banner, and the Footer.

I took footer as the first step. I've been reading codes and learning of Magento for the past week and do get a lot more familiar with Magento. I've tried to modify some parts in ~/skin/frontend/<PackageName>/<ThemeName>/css/style.css But there is not effection. So I think its better to try it here. Anyone responds is appreciated.

So this is the link of the website that I'm working with: www.wallitem.com

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Setting some of the elements to be full width in the a Magento Theme

you didn't specify what parts of the css file you tried to change so its hard to say where you went wrong. In general, if you just tried to add "width: 100%", 100% is based off the width of the container that the div is in. So if you have

<div style="width: 900px;">
     <div style="width: 100%;">
      blah
     </div>
</div>

The div with the 100% width is still only going to be 900px because of the container.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

you didn't specify what parts of the css file you tried to change so its hard to say where you went wrong. In general, if you just tried to add "width: 100%", 100% is based off the width of the container that the div is in. So if you have

<div style="width: 900px;">
     <div style="width: 100%;">
      blah
     </div>
</div>

The div with the 100% width is still only going to be 900px because of the container.

I have already did it. Even it is not a very proper way. What I have actually did is changed the css file i found in the theme. I do know that i should create a new sub theme and edid in it. But I don't know how to do it yet. I'll try to learn it later becuase I need it online as soon as possible.

After I successfully change it. I realized how silly question this was. However, as I started in the first place. I won't be scared away and I'm will to try. I'll get it more and more custermized and hopefully it'll be something someday.

Thanks very much for you time and efforts. This reply do answerd the question. Once I understand somehow about the CSS thing working. It make me easier about simple customization.