cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to upgrade from 1.8 to latest version of 1.9

Best way to upgrade from 1.8 to latest version of 1.9

Hi. I've read through a few different posts, and spent the better part of two days researching how to update Magento. I've read this: http://devdocs.magento.com/guides/m1x/install/installing_upgrade_details.html

and this: http://merch.docs.magento.com/ce/user_guide/Magento_Community_Edition_User_Guide.html#magento/magent...

However, though being in the official Magento CE user guide, I have seen 90% bad opinion about using the Connect Manager to upgrade to the latest version. 

Can someone please tell me how to update?

I would prefer to avoid ssh. Thanks for the help.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Best way to upgrade from 1.8 to latest version of 1.9

Hello.

I have had varying degrees of success with many different options. Some of our clients have actually used the connect manager themselves and managed to upgrade with only a few minor technical issues that we managed to resolve afterwards. A lot of it depends on how many versions you are upgrading from and to. 1.8 to 1.9 has a good upgrade path from my epxerience requiring only some template updates mostly centered around the introduction of form keys in 1.8.1 that need to be added.

My advice regardless of what method you choose is to make sure you backup both the database and the public_html folder before you start and put the store in maintenence mode.

Regards,

Andy

Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!
www.iwebsolutions.co.uk | Magento Small Business Partner

Hello

Please make sure you have backup your database and files.

Best way is from magento connect manager.

Just only select Mage_All_Latest Package and upgrade it to latest version.

You are done.

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
175+ Professional Extensions for M1 & M2
Need a developer?Just visit Contact Us Now

I tried upgrade using magento connect manager from 1.8.1 to latest 1.9. The frontend worked perfect but when I tried access admin panel I ended up on blank page, even login page was not there.

What could be the problem? Please suggest.

I tried it in my local computer in WAMP Environment.

Try looking into modman.

It will allow you to keep everything seperate from the core magento install meaning you can simply replace the core magento install with the upgraded copy.

In the first time, I want to upgrade to the latest version 2.2 now. However, I have suggested to upgrade magento 1.8.1 to 1.9.2 with magento upgrade extension that is an automated magento migration tool. With a large number of entities, it seems to be safer than other solution to upgrade data from old version to magento 1.9.

You can find easy steps to upgrade magento here

http://devm.com.np/topic/topic.php/20

@DEVMCOM, I upgraded my 1.9.1.0 to 1.9.3.7 using the method you suggested. On my first try to connect to my website, I got "Forbidden You don't have permission to access / on this server." error, so I changed the permission from 750 to 755 of my website only.

Then I got this error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@MY_WEB_SITE.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Well, after changing all directory  / file permission to 755 and 644 recursively, it started to display, but the admin login wasn't working at all.

What am I missing?

Thank you in advance.

Well, after changing all directory  / file permission to 755 and 644 recursively, it started to display, but the admin login wasn't working at all.

Hi,      I think I will have to check in the server. Is it possible give access ?
Kind Regards,Devendra