cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help about move Magento to other host.

Help about move Magento to other host.

Hello.
I have a CentOS server with Magento that host a website. Server has a problem and I want to install a new CentOS and move Magento from the old server to the new server, but I don't know how can I move Magento. Which parts\directories must be moved? How about DB? Any tool exist for do it?

Thank you.
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Help about move Magento to other host.

@jason_longVery open question but still try to gice some pointers to help.

Assuming you have only 1 website hosted on old server. Recommendation is to move the complete web root folder. For example if website is running under '/var/www' or '/var/html' then copy the whole html or www folder from old server to new server.

You need to migrate the database as well. You have to take care of DB username/password/permissions etc.

There will be bunch of challenges if you are not familiar with Magento. If DB credentials got changed then you need to update the same in Magento.

To test Magento on new server you may  need to do the host file entry or change the Magento URL in Magento configuration.

There may be many more thing but assuming you have a simpler Magento installation.

Problem solved? Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

- Tarandeep
Problem solved?Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

Thank you so much for your reply.
By default, is DB MySQL? Can I export it from the old server and import it to the new server?
If the old server using Magento 1.X and I install Magento 2.X on the new server, can move files and directories from "/var/www" cause any problem?

@jason_long 

Magento supports Mysql. You can export from old server and import the DB on new server.

Magento 1 to Magento 2 is rebuild and not the migration. Only data can be migrated but code needs to be rewrite. Recommendation would be just keep what you have without bringing in more complexities of Magento 2.

- Tarandeep

What is you mean about "data" ? The website contents from Magento 1.X can't move to Magento 2.X?

@jason_long  Yes. Requires tools and bunch on configuration to do the same. I would say only a developer can do it.

- Tarandeep

Excuse me, can you give me more info? For example, which tools exist for do it?
The websites that use Magento 1.X have security problems? I mean is migration from version 1.X to version 2.X is mandatory?

@jason_long  On the below URL you can find all the details of data migration tool.

https://devdocs.magento.com/guides/v2.3/migration/migration-tool.html

If you are on latest version of Magento 1 you should be fine. However, Magento will stop supporting Magento after June 2020. You can read about same on below URL.

https://magento.com/blog/magento-news/supporting-magento-1-through-june-2020

Magento is not providing any bug fixes or build more feature on Magento 1. To get support on future release and new feature it would be nicer to migrate to Magento 2.

- Tarandeep

Thank you.
Excuse me, first of all, for migration I must install Magento on the new server?