cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install and test 1.9.3.1?

How to install and test 1.9.3.1?

I have a dev server that is on Magento 1.9.3. My production server is on 1.9.2.2. I would like to upgrade both to 1.9.3.1. When I do check for upgrades on my production server 1.9.3.1 shows up. Even though in the release notes it said it would not. When I do check for upgrade on my development server it does not appear. I would like to install it through Connect Manager. Why does it show up in one and not the other when the release notes said it wouldn't? Will it be everywhere soon?

10 REPLIES 10

Re: How to install and test 1.9.3.1?

At this point its reccomended that the 1.9.3.1 is installed or updated via FTP, as this is the safest way to ensure all files are copied correctly.

Update : The reason I think so is as follow.

Of my 67 customers that are on magento are 7 on them on my servers and 60 of the rest different hosting providers with different server setup and settings, and in most cases there is as follow while using connect manager.   A) Permissions going wrong or B) not files are updated or changes

Connect Manager is good to use if your going to have small updates in modules / and also smaller upgrades to Magento, but when its so many files involved its best to use FTP in My Opinon thow.

"Too many cooks spoil the broth" in this case "More files that needed to be changed upgraded, the more could go wrong" Better to be safe than sorrow..

@tylerr82 when 1.9.3.1 should be available in Magento Connect Manager I have no information regarding this matter at this time, but would let you know when I have further information.

Where did the other comments go?

This is only 1.9.2.2 to 1.9.3.1 so I don't think it is too many files. Do you have a good tutorial on updating by ftp? Everything I have found is either really old 1.4 to 1.9 or 1.9 to 2.0.

Wow!

And all the other comments?

Hi all - just a quick note to let you know I'm looking into the missing comments here.

--

Developer Relations, Adobe Experience Cloud
Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!
Still stuck? Check out our documentation: https://magento.com/resources/technical

1) Enable Maintenance Mode by creating a file in root magento folder called maintenance.flag

2) For admin (you) to have access to the frontpage while you perform upgrade (check everything as it should be)
Find this

$maintenanceFile = 'maintenance.flag';

Add following to line 49 and 50

$ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
$allowed = array('Your Ip Address');

Where the ip-address is your IP.   Replace line 59 should be

if (file_exists($maintenanceFile)) {

With

if (file_exists($maintenanceFile) && !in_array($ip, $allowed)) {

3) Disable Compiling and also disable cache. Remember to flush cache.

4) Unpack the Magento 1.9.3.1 files on your computer and upload them to your root.

5) Refresh your webpage when the files are uploaded. You can see in Admin section that the magento
has been updated.

NB! Remember to check for upgrades for your third party modules / themes if you have this. This will only upgrade magento.
Also a good idea before uploading the files is to delete the error_log in your root folder and logs under var/log. This way you can see what errors may occur when you have done the proceeding.

Where you say-"Add following to line 49 and 50" what page is that in? Thanks for all your help, should do this tomorrow night.

index.php in root

@tylerr82 yes its in the index.php as @LittleSpider said Smiley Happy Let me know how it goes, and if you have any other questions ! Wish you good luck

Hello sorry to add on to this thread so late.

Can I unpack the magento files on my server and then overwrite the core files by just copying them to the main directory.

I did this once before but it started sending out a  bunch of email to customers that had already received their goods.  

I have also noticed others saying you need a database upgrade and when you copy over the files I am not sure it does this.

Thanks