cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning upgrade from 1.7.. to 1.9 or 2.0 recommended?

Planning upgrade from 1.7.. to 1.9 or 2.0 recommended?

Hello,

I'm planning on doing an upgrade in the next few weeks, and the one primary question, is whether or not to upgrade to 1.9 or go straight to 2.0 at this point?

Reason I ask, is that we currently use a plugin to give us warehouse functionality, however 2.1? is slated to have warehousing built right in.  I'm assuming that it would be easier to upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1 when it arrives, then going from 1.9.

Can anybody suggest maybe a good reason NOT to upgrade to 2.0 from 1.7 (or is it even feasible to make that leap, or do I need to go to 1.9 to get to 2.0 anyway) ?

Opinions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Planning upgrade from 1.7.. to 1.9 or 2.0 recommended?

M2 is not compatible with M1, so there's no direct upgrade path. Upgrading to M2 means that you need to rebuild pretty much everything from scratch.

Tanel Raja

Well, we are planning a completely new theme, and we are hoping to get rid of some plugins that we currently use. We do have one set of customizations that add a few price fields and some calculations, but i suspect that wouldnt be hard to re-do. My biggest concern is being able to import my products and categories, as well as images.

Yeah, that you can do. There's tool to convert data. But first you must make sure that you have replacements for all the extension you're using and remember that you need probably twice as much time to build a new theme for M2 as you need to relearn everything.

Tanel Raja

I recently upgraded one of our magento stores from 1.6 to 1.9. You do not have to move products and other data separately. You can take dump all your database to new server. I installed 1.9.2 to new server. installed the theme. Moved old 1.6 data to new server. changed xml file to new database and magento automatically upgraded the database. You will just need few changes like change in core config data.

Luckily, we already have a 2.0 compatible theme, so that's less work for us from that angle.Turns out our host doesn't yet support M2 yet.