cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSL Connect Error on Magento Connect after upgrading to 1.9.2.4

SSL Connect Error on Magento Connect after upgrading to 1.9.2.4

I'm having problems with Magento Connect again. I'm using Magento 1.9.2.4.

Last year, when using Magento 1.9.2.2, I previously had the "Unknown cipher in list: TLSv1" error when using Magento Connect to install extensions: I used this solution to solve it:

/* $this->curlOption(CURLOPT_SSL_CIPHER_LIST, 'TLSv1'); */
$this->curlOption(CURLOPT_SSLVERSION, CURL_SSLVERSION_TLSv1);

However, I have since upgraded to 1.9.2.4 (directly from 1.9.2.2), and now I get the error message "SSL connect error" when trying to install any extensions via Magento Connect.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: SSL Connect Error on Magento Connect after upgrading to 1.9.2.4

The code following still works fine on my sites which are 1.9.2.4

//$this->curlOption(CURLOPT_SSL_CIPHER_LIST, 'TLSv1');

Are you using OpenSSL or something like NSS that isn't really compatible with Magento (some hosts switched to NSS due to the problems OpenSSL had) .  I have heard you can simply comment out the line without adding the extra line like (I think its line 377 off the top of my head don't hold me to that):

//$this->curlOption(CURLOPT_SSL_CIPHER_LIST, 'TLSv1');

If you have OpenSSL make sure its up to date and that the ciphers are all up to date.

Regards
Sven

My other post had not posts so I re-wrote it. Smiley Sad

Regards
Sven

Your code is exactly the same as in my original post... which stopped working when I upgraded to 1.9.2.4.

I recently tried commenting out following line

but I received the previous 'Unknown cipher in list: TLSv1' (I think... I might need to double-check that!) 

I don't think I'm using OpenSSL or NSS. I don't know what they are, to be honest.

How would I know?

Ask you host what SSL software you have installed.  You can try with SSH access yourself but I wouldn't recommend it unless you can good knowledge of command line. 

The alternative is to use freegento to download the extensions and then manually install them 

http://freegento.com/ddl-magento-extension.php

Regards
Sven

I've found out that my server uses OpenSSL 1.0.1e... which was released 11 February 2013!

I'll update it to OpenSSL 1.1.0 (released 25 August 2016) and let you know if that helps. (I'll need to update my Plesk version first!)

The freegento method is a helpful temporary workaround (which I am now using), but I would prefer to use the 'official method' ie: Magento Connect, if at all possible.

You upgraded the SSL? Did it work?

I've not had a chance. I'll let you know when it's done Smiley Happy