cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ugrade or transfer content

SOLVED

Ugrade or transfer content

I have a small store version 1.3.2. which only generates a bit of business but I want to keep it going as I hope to be  able to spend more time on the site in the future when I retire.  I know nothing about the back end of the store but i know it is supported by PHP 5 which I believe will not be running for much longer, so i need to decide what to do with the store. 

My options seem to be;

(1)to  forget about it altogether and close the store as doing anything with it will be expensive and it does not earn enough to justify the time and money needed or 

(2) upgrade it or 

(3) get a new magento store and transfer the relevant content to the new site. I like the layout and content of the existing site 

From what I have read, upgrades are a nightmare and very expensive. What do you think I should consider doing? thanking you in advance,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ugrade or transfer content

Hi @bonnieg 

After carefully analysing your options i would like to suggest you to go with the "3" option.

As you are using version 1.3.2 which is too old and may be the third party extension which you are using have no support for latest version and as per your statement "you have a small store" so creating a new store would be the best option for you instead of spending money in upgrading it.

Moreover you can have all the required data in your new store from your old store and you can have your own customised theme as per the requirements.

If you have any query then please let me know.

Thanks.

---
If you've found my answer useful, please give"Kudos" and "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi @bonnieg 

After carefully analysing your options i would like to suggest you to go with the "3" option.

As you are using version 1.3.2 which is too old and may be the third party extension which you are using have no support for latest version and as per your statement "you have a small store" so creating a new store would be the best option for you instead of spending money in upgrading it.

Moreover you can have all the required data in your new store from your old store and you can have your own customised theme as per the requirements.

If you have any query then please let me know.

Thanks.

---

Thank you for your reply. It sounds very sensible. 

Do you know how long the current PHP of, I think, 5 will be supported as this will give me an idea of how long my site might continue to work ok, which it is doing now, more or less? 

thanks again

Hi @bonnieg 

Though version 1.3.2 has become obsolete now but you can still use it.

The thing is that you are not going to get any security updates or any feature enhancements in future.

One more thing i want to suggest, if you are thinking of using this website then you can upgrade it to version 1.9.4 which supports php 7 and it will not be as expensive as upgrading to latest version i.e. 2.3.3

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

---
If you've found my answer useful, please give"Kudos" and "Accept as Solution".

thank you for your help.

How much do you think it would cost to upgrade it as you suggest?

Thanks

Kim

Hi @bonnieg 

It would depend on your website.

Because i don't know what type of customisation are there on your website.

Moreover we have to check whether the third party extension you are using are compatible with newer version or not.

Thanks

---