cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update community edition 1.5.1.0 to later version in steps

Update community edition 1.5.1.0 to later version in steps

Hello,

I'm trying to update my magento store version 1.5.1.0 to a later version. I want to do this in steps. From 1.5.1.0 to 1.6.2.0 to 1.7.0.2 to 1.8.1.0 and finally to 1.9.3.

The reason that i want to do this in steps is that a direct update to version 1.9.3 does not work.

Problem is that in Connect manager the core is not visible as an extension that i can coose to update.

In the forums i found the extension key: http://connect20.magentocommerce.com/community/mage_all_latest to update to the latest version.

This doesn't work.

Is ther a similar key to update to version 1.6.2.0 or 1.7.0.2?

Thanx for your help .

Alex

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Update community edition 1.5.1.0 to later version in steps

Well, you'll have probably a lot of challenges on your way to upgrade to the Magento 1.9.3.2.
I assume that you're doing this on your local environment and that you're having a copy of the database and your code to be able to repeat this process as many times as needed to be completely sure that everything is alright.

My suggestion:
1. Download fresh Magento 1.5.1.0. Then compare it to your Magento instance to find out if there was any code change (dirty core fixes) in it. Document all important changes somewhere, you'll need them later.
2. Overwrite your Magento instance with that fresh 1.5.1.0 code. Now, you're safe regarding any core hacks.
3. Disable all custom / 3rd party extensions by changing to <active>false</active> in app/etc/modules/, or by moving those files out of app/etc/modules directory
4. Clear the cache
5. Now your Magento is ready for the upgrade. Overwrite your Magento with the version you to upgrade to (e.g. v1.9.3.2).
6. Hit Magento instance from the browser, by typing an URL to it
7. If there is any exception, try to figure out what went wrong, and fix it. If there are too many errors (one after another), consider upgrading to the next minor version release (1.6.x in your case) to reduce the number of potential issues. Once you're good with 1.6.x, you can upgrade to 1.7.x, etc...
8. After the successful upgrade from step 7, enable 3rd party modules one by one, and verify it's behavior.
9. Now you can go through all changes recorded in step1, and try to apply all meaningful changes, but this time you can do it on the right way:
- First, try to do the same thing using appropriate event
- If not possible, then try to rewrite such class in local pool
- The last resort would be copying over such core file into app/code/local/Mage/ and applying changes (it's still better then direct change of core files)
9a. For modified template files in base/default templates, try to isolate those changes into themes rather than changing those files directly.
Those steps are important to make it easier for you next time when you want to upgrade Magento.
10. Test, test, and test! You'll have to check every action. Product pages, Category, Cart, full Checkout flow with many variations, Customer registration/login/account, etc.

Now, there are a couple of issues which you may encounter during steps 8 and 9. First one is related to form_key which will not allow you to log in as a customer, add to cart, or do any other POST action.
In order to solve login issue, you'll have to add following fragment of code to every login.phtml you have in theme:

<input type="hidden" name="form_key" value="<?php echo Mage::getSingleton('core/session')->getFormKey(); ?>" />

It should be in app/design/frontend/yourthemepackage/yourtheme/template/persistent/customer/form/login.phtml.

In other forms, you can just add:

<?php echo $this->getBlockHtml('formkey'); ?>

And everything will be alright. For example, if you cannot update QTY on your Checkout, you'll have to edit and add code from above to the file:
app/design/frontend/yourthemepackage/yourtheme/template/checkout/cart.phtml

One of the reasons why you see a white page in your Magento Admin, can be presence of discontinued module GoogleCheckout. In order to solve such issue, remove app/code/core/Mage/GoogleCheckout completely, and then copy it again from the latest Magento version you've used for upgrade (e.g. 1.9.3.2). That's because there will be some files from the earlier versions which are not removed during upgrade.

And many more issues may come, but no one can predict them.
This is good for the start.

If this response was helpful to you, consider giving kudos to this post.

If this response solved your problem, click accept as solution to help others solve this

If this response was helpful to you, consider giving kudos to this post.
If this response solved your problem, click accept as solution to help others solve this issue

Hello Sinisa,

Thnx for your answer.

Ik go to work with this and let you know if this is the solution.

Alex.

I have tried to update to version 1.6.2.0, but got already so much errors..

I give up.

Think it is faster to start all over again with a fresh installation of Magento 2.0.

Thanks again for the answer.