cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from 1.7.0.2 to latest 2.xxx

Upgrade from 1.7.0.2 to latest 2.xxx

Hi there everyone!

I have a website based on 1.7.0.2 release.
The webmaster told me that it's an old version and it must be upgraded.

I told him "yes let's do it", but they told me that it's almost impossible to safely install the latest Magento version, and to make a 1:1 copy of my website (skins, interfaces, items, purchase history, registered clients with their userID/pwd, and so on) will be more or less impossible, even if they will have a lot of work to do, it will not be safe / automatic switch from old to new.

It seems to me almost impossible that is not possible to safe upgrade a Magento older site, to a Magento new site / platform.

Could anyone help?

Is there a conversion tool? Is it "safe"?
Or there is some work to do, but not so heavy / unsafe, like they told me?

Cheers and thanks to all of you :-) 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Upgrade from 1.7.0.2 to latest 2.xxx

Magento provides a data migration tool that is very effective for your upgrade. However, this is just the start of what you will need to do. 

There are many enhancements in 2.1 that necessitate you needing to refactor your extensions and your theme.  If you have standard plugs from regular vendors you can simply get the newest version of that plug in and install it.  You will have to work with your vendor to confirm that the data has migrated properly.

Themeing will have to be re-done in 2.1. But this gives you a good opportunity to update designs etc. 

You can see my slides from Magento Live UK this year on Magento upgrades.

https://www.slideshare.net/BrentPeterson/magento-2-best-practice-mluk17

Magento Moderator since 2009
Keep Calm and Clear Cache!

Hi Brent, and many thanks for your reply!

I'm happy to know that there are good possibility to migrate all data from old to new Magento platform, without losing data.

I'm conscious that some minor things must require some hours of work (personal adjustment / modules) and that the theme must not be the same (yes, also a new webstyle is good in order to make a site lifting).

But, as you told me, it's quite different from what my webmaster has forecasted to me.

They told me "a tons of working hours" and an elevated risk that all data (previous purchase / invoices) could not be passed migrated...

Any other hints will be highly appreciated!

Have a nice day!

Hi,

If you don't have enough resources for a migration to M2 then you should consider at least an upgrade to 1.9.3.6.

This will be less risky and probably your developer will be more confident to do it.