cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from 1.6.2.0 to 1.9

Upgrading from 1.6.2.0 to 1.9

Realizing that my version of magento is WAY out of date, I decided to attempt to upgrade to 1.9. (And eventually to 2.0). Following this guide: 

http://devdocs.magento.com/guides/m1x/install/installing_upgrade_ce18_upgrade-roadmap.html

I made a database and file dump, copied the 1.9 source files into a new directory, copied over my local.xml, extensions, themes etc, and than changed the base_url in the database to reflect my new site. When I visit the URL, it doesn't appear to run any update scripts, as it loads right away. (Being as I am way out of date, i'd assume that it would at least take 10-15 seconds to run the database updates) What am I doing wrong in getting this upgraded?

Also, in doing that, I can no longer access base_url/admin/ to log in, or anything else, only the main front page of the site.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Upgrading from 1.6.2.0 to 1.9

Hi @jfurnas

Did you update the database name and details in local.xml file?

Do you see any error messages in the system.log and exception.log file?

---
Problem Solved Click Accept as Solution!:Magento Community India Forum

Hi @Mukesh Tiwari Thank you for the reply. 

To test the upgrade, I took my production database and dumped it, and then I created (on my local development server), a replica database name and user to match my local.xml file, so I didn't have to change the file. What I mean is all the details in the local.xml file are the same on both servers (They both connect to the database server via localhost, and user the same credentials and db name).

As far as errors, I am not sure, as I didn't think to check them as I didn't get any errors on the screen. I will check them and report back to you. 

Edit: There appears to be no errors in my system.log file, and I have no exception.log file

Well, I got it updated to 1.9, but my theme and site is completely broken now. Blocks and stuff is out of alignment and other types of fun stuff.. looks like there's going to be a lot of work ahead of me to get it fixed correctly.

Hi @jfurnas

Good to hear that your site upgraded. For any further issues or help feel free to post on community forum.

---
Problem Solved Click Accept as Solution!:Magento Community India Forum

Upgarde Magento 1.6.2.0 to 1.9 by following these steps:

1.  First create backup of your Magento Store including all its files and database.

2.  Install Magento 1.9.  After downloading, upload and install it to your server or localhost.

3.  Now delete all the tables from your Magento 1.9 and then import all the tables from your previous Magento 1.6.2.0 in it.

4. From your 1.6.2.0 version, merge the following folders into your new version:

• Replace app/code/community folder of Magento 1.9  with your previous Magento 1.6.2.0 community folder
  • Replace app/code/local folder of Magento 1.9  with your previous Magento 1.6.2.0 local folder.
  • Replace media folder of Magento 1.9  with your previous Magento 1.6.2.0 media folder.

• Replace app/design/frontend/ <your-theme> folder of Magento 1.9  with your previous Magento 1.6.2.0 media folder.

• If you have created any custom xml files then replace all those files from app/etc/modules of Magento 1.9  with your previous Magento 1.6.2.0 app/etc/modules folder.

• Replace all custom folders from skin folder of Magento 1.9  with your previous Magento 1.6.2.0 skin folder.

• If you have any custom admin theme folder then replace this folder from app/design/adminhtml/default of Magento 1.9  with your previous Magento 1.6.2.0 app/design/adminhtml/default.

• If you have any custom js folder then replace this folder from app/js of Magento 1.9  with your previous Magento 1.6.2.0 app/js.

To learn more follow the given link.