cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the end of life date for Magento 1.9x community edition?

SOLVED

What is the end of life date for Magento 1.9x community edition?

I just wanted to know the end of life of Magento 1.9x Will this still be supported for 4-5 years from now as Magento 2 is now here therefore I need to know and I will appreciate if some official can comment on this or some one who knows a lot 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: What is the end of life date for Magento 1.9x community edition?

Hi @sbwcws

Magento 1x will be supported for the next three years from the Magento 2.0 release date.

---
Problem Solved Click Accept as Solution!:Magento Community India Forum

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Hi @sbwcws

Magento 1x will be supported for the next three years from the Magento 2.0 release date.

---
Problem Solved Click Accept as Solution!:Magento Community India Forum

This also doesn't mean that the software stops working.  It just means that Magento stops releasing addition (security) patches. Expect third parties (agencies, groups) take over the torch from there. M1 is a decent piece of software as it is and many merchant do not see reason to stop using it even though official support is gone. 

Tanel Raja

Other answers here already reflect the general concensus, but I wrote this short article that includes links to the official sources of this information, in case anyone is looking for them.

i created some pic's which maybe clearify this. Just check: https://www.slideshare.net/DennisReurings/magento-1en2roadmap

This answer is out of date I believe, this forum post comes up on google so may be misleading to some. Based on the blog at https://magento.com/blog/magento-news/ongoing-magento-1-support, support is continuing and Magento are committed to an 18 month notice if support will be discontinued. No announcement has been made by Magento for an end to support so no rush for anyone.

Think the best thing for anyone using Magento 1.9+ is to keep subscribed to the upgrades and security newsletter (as linked in that blog post) and if all goes well we all get an 18 month warning of when it will be end of life.

For any user though, still bear in mind the benefits of the upgrade and plan it when it is convenient. I'm personally getting there but I feel no pressure from Magento to do the upgrade just yet!

Hi @jaimiedijstra,

In my opinion is more accurate if you follow this link: https://magento.com/legal/terms

Check under: "MAGENTO COMMERCE (ON PREMISES):"

The important link is the one called "Magento Software Lifecycle Policy" (I'm not using the URL because has changed last time on May)

Thanks Damian, it would be great if Magento gave a clear statement of the facts and issues on a page continually kept up-to-date, I checked your link and assume it will just be the latest (Community 1.9.3.8 or later release) which will be supported, assuming this is alongside enterprise versions 1.13 and 1.14 until June 2020. Edit: I later came across this post and your detailed reply which made the situation more clear "https://community.magento.com/t5/Magento-1-x-Version-Upgrades/Will-Magento-1-x-end-of-life-affect-we...". PHP7.1+ issue requirement for next year, so I understand the hesitation now a little on an official announcement and it will only be the latest version (i.e. 1.9.3.8 or later receiving such support (i.e. not 1.9.0 etc), but the recommendation is either to upgrade to Magento 2 latest release, or, patch magento 1.9.3.8 or later with the compatibility module (which is still in development). In my case I will aim for PHP7.1 or higher (pending on support via the module in development) and stick with Magento 1.9 (Planning an upgrade to v2 but not ready for that yet!). Thanks for your help!