cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error 503

error 503

Hi

I did my first every update yesterday as it was requesting a critical patch, but updated what the system asked, now i can't get into the front or back end of the site and it's been like that for 24 hours.  Please can someone help.  the error message i'm getting is

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: error 503

Hello @LiaqatAli1978 

1. Try to clear your cache from the cpanel

2. Make sure there is no maintainance.flag file generated in the root of magento.

If still not let me know, how did you update and which files you updated?

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
175+ Professional Extensions for M1 & M2
Need a developer?Just visit Contact Us Now

Thanks

Tried that and still hasn't work.

From the back on of the website went to MaegentoConnect and did all the updates it recommended from there

What Magento version you were using?

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
175+ Professional Extensions for M1 & M2
Need a developer?Just visit Contact Us Now

1.7 something

Never apply updates on the live server without testing on another system first to make sure your database, template and third party modules are compatible. You probably attempted to upgrade from 1.7 something to 1.9 something which is probably not going to happen in the first go per my experience with Magento updates.

And the kicker is that the update you initiated is more than likely still in need of being patched. The 5344 patch will not be included in the code base often until the next major version number is reached.

At this point, with no maintenance.flag in your Magento root causing the 503 maintenance mode to be entered, you have a severe hard fault in the Magento system that's actually causing the web server to crash. Check your web server error log for the failure (NOT MAGENTO LOGS). If you have a wimpy shared server account, you may have to contact your hosting provider for this information.

Try checking to see if your file permissions are messed up, which can happen after a download or upgrade from Magento Connect Manager and also after taking a backup within Magento. 

Under most hosting environments, the file permission for all files should be set to 644 and all directories to 755. 

If you are unsure on the ideal file permissions for your server, do contact your hosting provider.