cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A multistore with many websites in the same domain

SOLVED

A multistore with many websites in the same domain

All the examples I've read about the multistore functionality are based on using a seperate domain name for each website in the magento installation. Thats not what I can do in my case.

So how is it possible to handle many magento websites by using the same Domainname (e.g. mydomain.com) but having the possibility to access several websites though? I thought about using the path structure in the URL, e.g. www.mydomain.com/division1, www.mydomain.com/division2, www.mydomain.com/division3

Does support magento this?

In this case a landingpage can be created which decides which website will be used from now on (based on some serious criteria). But I fear if I set it up via a RewriteCond/-Rule in the .htaccess file after leaving the deciding landingpage the information about the PARAM_RUN_CODE and PARAM_RUN_TYPE is lost and magento will forward to the default shop again? I think there is no stored information about the current used website in the session?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: A multistore with many websites in the same domain

Okay I'm using HTTP AUTH now and use the Username as the PARAM_RUN_CODE via the index.php of magento. This is a good solution for me because HTTPAuth is required for my purposes anyway.

I'm not sure why the other configuration was not working as desired.. :-/

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

You can do this by setting up the domains in Magento using the following: www.mydomain.com/division1,www.mydomain.com/division2, www.mydomain.com/division3

You can use the same as www.mydomain1.com, mydomain2.com and mydomain3.com

Hope that helps

Magento Moderator since 2009
Keep Calm and Clear Cache!

Hi Brent,

Thanks for the quick reply. What you write makes sense for me and that was what I tried first:  I setup the several paths in the Base URLs (secure and unsecure) in Configuration/Web in the scope of the certain website. The Default Configuration itself (so main domain www.mydomain.com) (scope "Default Config") should provide the admin area. So www.mydomain.com/admin_xyzabc will redirect to its administrative area for each of the configured website.

But this concept does not work. Maybe I have an configuration error? Each time I try to access one division of my mutlistore setting, I get an 404 when I try to access via browser, e.g.  www.mydomain.com/division1.

By doing this, I have no further custom PARAM_RUN_CODE/PARAM_RUN_TYPE settings in the index.php or htaccess. I hope thats the right way?

Okay I'm using HTTP AUTH now and use the Username as the PARAM_RUN_CODE via the index.php of magento. This is a good solution for me because HTTPAuth is required for my purposes anyway.

I'm not sure why the other configuration was not working as desired.. :-/