cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Attribute to "Products in Category" section in Categories

Add Attribute to "Products in Category" section in Categories

Can someone please help me to add an Attribute field to search for products in the "Products in Category" section in Categories. By default I can search using name, sku etc, but i want to search using my own attributes. Please see the image attached. How can i add my own attributes to this?

Products In Category.JPG

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Add Attribute to "Products in Category" section in Categories

If you want to show an attribute in the productpageYou can an attribute here Stores>Attributes>Product

Screenshot 2019-04-18 at 07.55.40.pngScreenshot 2019-04-18 at 08.02.59.png

You can also configure here if you wat to use the attribute in search.

Sorry i think you may have misunderstood the question. I want to add an attribute in the Categories section. For example, if i want to add a product into a category, i can search my products currently by only ID, name, SKU, Visibility, Status, Price and Position like shown in the screenshot. I want to search by "Brand" attribute for example.

Please see; Catalog > Categories > Products in Category

I have enabled all store front properties and Advanced Attribute Properties but nothing enables it there. I think maybe this needs to be changed in the code.

Hi @oaknfold 

Magento doesn't provide a facility to add the attributes in the category, rather it will help you to exhibit the same in the product grid and filter as well.

For that, you need to enable the option called "Used In Filter Options" from the Advanced Attributed Properties while creating an Attribute.

If you want to display that same attribute in the product grid column, you can enable it from that same page using property name "Add to Column Options".

Hope it helps!

Found the above suggestion helpful, hit the "Kudos" & Accept as Solution!

Thank you,
Rohan D.
Free & Premium Magento 2 Extensions

Your image is not showing, so i couldn't see.

You mean this? to add as a sorting option:

Screenshot 2019-04-18 at 14.16.28.png

in Attributes>Product there is a tab 'Storefront Properties', at the bottom is an option 'Used for Sorting in Product Listing' you should set that to 'yes'.

No not the on the store front, its on admin. I will attach the image again. Products-In-Category.jpg

Hi @oaknfold ,

If you view this thread on the forums, you'll see that the images that you're attaching are not viewable. I'm not sure why, but in the future, it may be best to upload images to an image service or cloud storage system, and insert a link here.

I understand what you're trying to achieve though. 

I know of extensions that will allow you to edit the Product Grid within the Magento 2.x admin, such as:

https://marketplace.magento.com/amasty-pgrid.html

https://marketplace.magento.com/evincemage-productgrid.html

These extensions offer to allow you to [from the Products Grid] see what categories a product is assigned to, and filter by this. You can also edit the categories a product is assigned to from the grid, without having to enter the product listing and, adjust, save, and return to the grid. They will also allow you to add other product attributes to the grid to help with your sorting and filtering.

I recognize that this is not the same as editing which attributes are visible in the Products list within a category, but as the net results are relatively close, I thought I'd share. If you wanted to extend the Products list within a Category to include extra attributes, I believe that you'd need to customize that. I don't believe you can achieve that with a native admin feature.

Best of luck!

@oaknfoldWhat you are looking for is not available in native Magento. What it means it some customization to native Magento is needed. Adding an attribute like Brand as column can be achievable however challenge would be what if Brand attribute is not assigned to some of the product?

What I mean is you can have different product with different attribute sets. Products with different attribute sets can be assigned to a category. In your customization you need to take care of such use case.

There is not such extension available in market which can meet your requirement.

Problem solved? Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

- Tarandeep
Problem solved?Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

vvvRe: Add Attribute to "Products in Category" section in Categories

The ability to specify which attributes show up in "Products in Category" is available in the v2.3.3 Enterprise version in Stores > Configuration > Catalog > Visual Merchandiser (not sure how long it has been available). 

I confirmed it is not available on the open source edition.

I learned this here:
https://sherocommerce.com/categories-attributes-magento-2/

Re: vvvRe: Add Attribute to "Products in Category" section in Categories

@patrick_steil 

Actually that's not the case at all. You got my hopes up though, but unfortunately the options in the visual merchandiser you are referring to is for Visible Attributes for Category Rules, which is not the same.