cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configurable product user permissions

Configurable product user permissions

Hi all,

I'm very new to Magento, and am setting up a simple store however I have a requirement to limit certain product configurations to registered user accounts only.

For my example to explain it, I'll use Shirts.  Hopefully I'm on the correct path.

Say I have some Mens Shirts, in three different sizes (small, medium, large) and three different colours - Red, Blue, Green.  Now, I want to limit it so that only users with an account can select the Red colour (and everything else), and anyone else (guests without an account) can browse and see all options except Red.

I have a category tree that looks like;

All Items

- Mens Clothing

- - Shirts

I create a Configurable Product as normal, and add it to categories; All Items, Mens Clothing, and Shirts.

Now, can I do this to limit the Red colour option (which is created as three Virtual Products; Red Shirt Small, Red Shirt Medium, Red Shirt Large)...

If I change my category tree to;

All Products

- Mens Clothing

- - Shirts

- - Members Only Shirts

And then, add the Virtual Products for Red Mens shirts to Members Only Shirts, and no other Category, Then, allow registered users access to the Members Only Shirts.

Will this mean that unregistered users will see all options except Red, and registered users see all options plus Red?

I hope I explained that correctly...

Thanks in advance,

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Configurable product user permissions

Hi @zirophyz ,

As per your requirement, magento doesn't provide any by default functionality to restrict product at the behalf of customer group. 

But there are some extensions available in marketplace. 
https://amasty.com/customer-group-catalog-for-magento-2.html

You can check demo of this extension first and check as per your requirement before purchase it. In configurable case you need to restrict associated simple products based on customer group. 

One more thing I have noticed in your comment:
You have created a configurable product and 3 shirts created as virtual. But you need to create simple for shirt. By Default magento create as virtual. If you add/update some weight into created virtual product using product edit then associated product will automatic converted into simple product. 
Because for virtual product shipping is not applicable. 

I hope it will help you!

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I realised I was reading the Magento 2.3 Commerce user guide, and as such the Category Permissions feature doesn't exist in CE.

In regards to the products created as Virtual Products - does it matter is Shipping is flat rate?  Weight doesn't really matter for me, as it won't really affect my shipping costs (thus, I offer flat rate shipping options).  Or, can you just not ship Virtual Products regardless of weight?

@zirophyz 
Yes, Virtual product type is matter to shipping.
If you used virtual product then shipping step will never show on front-end. We generally create virtual product which we don't need to ship. for ex. service, warranty etc.

You can add any weight amount greater then 0 then product type will be converted to Simple.

For product types you can take a look at below link:
https://www.mageplaza.com/kb/6-types-product-types-magento-2.html

I hope it will help you!

@zirophyz
Did it work for you?