cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring products with variable attributes

SOLVED

Configuring products with variable attributes

Hey All, fairly new to Magento and just wondering if anybody has any experience configuring products with variable attribute options.

For example, when ordering a T-shirt, depending on which color material is selected for the shirt, it may not be available in some sizes. Is there a way to hide the size options that aren't available for a particular color once that color is selected? Is there an extension that offers this functionality, if Magento is not capable of this kind of configuration on its own?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Configuring products with variable attributes

Hi @codestr,

Variations on Configurable products won't be available if the variation (simple product) hasn't stock. That's the default behavior.

Did you tried and the result was different?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @codestr,

Variations on Configurable products won't be available if the variation (simple product) hasn't stock. That's the default behavior.

Did you tried and the result was different?

Hey @Damian Culotta, thanks for the reply. We did try setting the stock count for a particular size/color combo at 0. We've integrated an online designer for clients to design their own shirts, and while in the designer it seems to work, as the user can't increase the quantity in that size, however, on the actual product listing page, the size is still selectable in the drop down. I've attached a couple screenshots to help show what I'm seeing.1.PNG2.PNG

The stock for the XXL size in the color red is set to 0, but the option is still displayed as selectable on the magento product page. I'm fine with it displaying in the designer, as the user can't increase it, but I don't want them selecting a size, then entering the designer to find out the size isn't available in the color they selected.

@codestr,

I understand what you're looking for. Is the default bahavior of Magento.

Maybe you have some special configuration (i.e. backorders) or the Designer module use something different to validate which options can show (I can't be sure without check configurations and code).

A few questions of things that I think you could check:

• Are you allowing Backorders?
  • How is the visibility of out of stock products set?
  • Are your catalog indexed?
  • Is your cache refreshed?