cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Configuring a Custom Attribute Please

SOLVED

Help Configuring a Custom Attribute Please

I'm having difficulty setting up a custom attribute properly so do hope someone here can help.

The custom attribute is for age, so the values can be Age 1, Age 2, Age 3, Age 4, Age 5, Age 6, Age 7, Age 8, Age 9 and Age 10

I have some products than can be suitable for different ages. For example:

Product A is suitable for Age 1, Age 2 and Age 3
Product B is suitable for Age 3, Age 4 and Age 5

Products will be imported from a csv file.

On the front end, I would like the customer to have a pull down menu to select their child's age, so if they select Age 1 only Product A would be visible. If they selected Age 3 then both Product A and B would be visible.

Any help in this matter would be really appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Help Configuring a Custom Attribute Please

Have you tried using a Multiple Select attribute type? These can be used with Layered Navigation.

With this attribute type, product "x" could use an Age attribute that you create to signify that it's available for Age 1, Age 2, and Age 3. Simultaneously, product "y" could use this attribute to signify that it's available for Age 2, Age 3, and Age 4. 

If the shopper selects Age 1 in the layered navigation, they'll see Product "x". If they select Age 2, they'll see both products "x" and "y". If they select Age 4, they'll only see product "y".

This can be imported via CSV. Once the attribute is created, I'd recommend adding a product, and exporting. You can then follow the format of the exported doc... but in the product CSV, in the column for your new Age attribute, the multiple select attribute value will look like:  age=Age 1|Age 2|Age 3  . The actual values will of course depend on which product row you'll looking at in the CSV.

Best of luck!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

I know how to make the a custom attribute but I just can't get this one to work properly. When I import a csv file the product only has the first value associated with it.

For example, if I import using the additional attribute and had values Age 3|Age 4|Age 5, only Age 3 will be registered with the product.

It was interesting that you gave a TemplateMonster link. I am trying to work with one of their templates, have paid for 'Premium Support' but 3 weeks later I'm still not successful in doing this properly.

Have you tried using a Multiple Select attribute type? These can be used with Layered Navigation.

With this attribute type, product "x" could use an Age attribute that you create to signify that it's available for Age 1, Age 2, and Age 3. Simultaneously, product "y" could use this attribute to signify that it's available for Age 2, Age 3, and Age 4. 

If the shopper selects Age 1 in the layered navigation, they'll see Product "x". If they select Age 2, they'll see both products "x" and "y". If they select Age 4, they'll only see product "y".

This can be imported via CSV. Once the attribute is created, I'd recommend adding a product, and exporting. You can then follow the format of the exported doc... but in the product CSV, in the column for your new Age attribute, the multiple select attribute value will look like:  age=Age 1|Age 2|Age 3  . The actual values will of course depend on which product row you'll looking at in the CSV.

Best of luck!

Thank you very much for your reply @Robert Rand , it was exactly what I needed and I've achieved more with your response in 2 hours than I did with 'Premium Support' in 2 weeks!

My pleasure!